Potential for corrosion with zinc plated, zinc yellow chromate plated, and mild steel parts?

The summary may be, zinc plating is better than nothing, zinc dichromate is better than regular zinc (probably by about an order of magnitude in standardized tests) but because it’s better and we can’t keep people from licking their fasteners, it was outlawed. California has outlawed galvanized steel in some applications, but that’s a tangent. End of day, keep going and paint afterward.

If for some reason you chose not to use any zinc fasteners, get yourself some anti-seize. Coat your threaded parts and assemble. Works a treat.
DO NOT get the anti-seize on your clothing. My wife says the only thing that will get it out is scissors.

Plus it repeats for years if you get it on somewhere hidden.

I go through antisieze by the quart can, but I don't get it about being exceptionally messy. Do you guys use rags for your fingers and parts when you work, or are y'all going commando all the time?

Because of said quart cans, I use milspec hi-temp bronze powder/mineral oil antisieze in the shop. I use the zinc based stuff in the field, the tubes fit the tool bag a little better. The zinc seems to be harder to wipe off of my fingers, it takes two wipes with the rag instead of one.

I feel like I've missed the joke?

Not "exceptionally messy", but..."generous" is a word I'd use. Yeah I have old t-shirts and the like, but carp happens.

You can always paint the fasteners with POR-15 paint after application. That stuff is almost as good as powder coat. Where I work, in the aerospace industry, we use cadmium fasteners and this grease like anti corrosion sauce that meets MIL-C-11796 on many fasteners. These parts live outside, and get sprayed with de-icing solution regularly through the winter. Other than paint, I think this supplement is about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Back