Power Draw Bar Install on PM TS Style Knee mill

Definitely helps, thanks for responding. I wonder if the DB 101 is the draw bar designation after they made up one specifically for David Bests Unit? I"m going to talk to the factory and the supplier tomorrow and get the right kit to finish up. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Alex

From what I understand DB 101 is their standard draw bar length, not custom. Reason is, if you need replacement they can ship out one very quickly.

John

Does sound that way, I talked to their factory this morning and they recommended the DB101 and the stand off kit for the unit I have. I talked to KBC and sounds like they'll get the parts and swap out the drawbar and obtain the stand off kit for me. So all seems to be under control.
Alex

At the risk of getting off topic, with the power drawbar mounted, can the drawbar be loosened without having shop air? Asked another way, is there enough room to get a wrench onto the drawbar with the power draw bar in place? Reason I ask is because as wonderful as power draw bars are, having your compressor go down means being unable to change the cutter, or even use the mill at all, or so it seems.

Not installed yet so don't know about room but does not look like it. But if push comes to shove 3 bolds and the power head is off and you're back in business pretty quick

The step pulley adapter has 1 7/16 spacers. I didn't check the drawbar when I installed it to see if a wrench would work.

David: I also wonder about spinning up the mill with the drawbar engaged in the Power head. Puts a bit of wear on the air motor and if one extends the quill down with the draw bar spinning the air motor as it disengages one would expect over time to wear the splines. Do you always extend the quill to disengage the draw bar from the power head before spinning up the quill?

I do not lower the quill before starting the spindle running - and frankly never thought about it. One of the reasons I went with the Torque-Rite was to get (hopefully) a better quality product all around - in contrast to building my own with a Harbor Freight air motor - :). The splines on the drawbar they supplied are hardened to something like Rockwell 50, so I'm not worried about wear on the drawbar. Since the drive spline socket in the air motor assembly is custom (not just a hex socket), I assume it's equally tough. Time will tell.

At the risk of getting off topic, with the power drawbar mounted, can the drawbar be loosened without having shop air? Asked another way, is there enough room to get a wrench onto the drawbar with the power draw bar in place? Reason I ask is because as wonderful as power draw bars are, having your compressor go down means being unable to change the cutter, or even use the mill at all, or so it seems.

Unless you remove the three 1/4-20 socket head cap screws and take off the head unit, you can not access the top of the drawbar to remove it manually. Even if you do take off the head unit, you'll find a splined head and will need a 12-point box-end wrench to grip it ( I think it's 15mm but could be mis-remembering).

Does sound that way, I talked to their factory this morning and they recommended the DB101 and the stand off kit for the unit I have. I talked to KBC and sounds like they'll get the parts and swap out the drawbar and obtain the stand off kit for me. So all seems to be under control.
Alex

Curious if you're back up and running and how the experience was getting the new drawbar and stand-off kit.

David: For some reason I just picked up your responses, I was wondering if you had received my question about dropping the draw bar out of the air motor. Not sure what I'll do but think being basically lazy I won't bother unless I'm using high spindle speeds.
As to up and running - In mid January if I'm lucky. Just finally sorted out between KBC and the Maxi-Torque manufacturer so parts are ordered but cross border shopping adds time so my guess is I'll have the parts mid January (maybe earlier - we'll see) The install looks pretty simple and should have the control stuff in place before I get the mounting bracket and drawbar.
I"ll let you know, thanks for the help David and Merry Christmas!!
Alex

David: For some reason I just picked up your responses, I was wondering if you had received my question about dropping the draw bar out of the air motor. Not sure what I'll do but think being basically lazy I won't bother unless I'm using high spindle speeds.
As to up and running - In mid January if I'm lucky. Just finally sorted out between KBC and the Maxi-Torque manufacturer so parts are ordered but cross border shopping adds time so my guess is I'll have the parts mid January (maybe earlier - we'll see) The install looks pretty simple and should have the control stuff in place before I get the mounting bracket and drawbar.
I"ll let you know, thanks for the help David and Merry Christmas!!
Alex
I did see that question and replied to it. Just scroll back upward and you'll see that reply.

Back