Power Drawbar Accessory

Once you price out the parts you are pretty much in the ballpark of the price,

Someone above mentioned that the TTS is a hard no for them. I respect that but for me consistent tool length registration is a must,

YMMV but the PDB + TTS is convenient, fast, and gives reproducible tool heights.
Do you mean the parts total price is in the ballpark of Priest's kit or finished product? I've dealt with McMaster and yes, they have quality stuff, but you can equal their quality for less money by shopping around. They are, after all, just a mega industrial hardware store. Shopping around takes time, but you learn a lot doing so.

What is TTS?

How does a power draw bar give reproducible tool heights? Is the TTS a tool holder system like what is found on a CNC machine? In that case I understand how using high tolerance tool holders will give repeatable accuracy in tool heights. What kind of jig allows you to place the various milling cutters in a tool holder system in order to get the same tool height when installed on the mill?

.... Someone above mentioned that the TTS is a hard no for them. I respect that but for me consistent tool length registration is a must, and TTS does that.

YMMV but the PDB + TTS is convenient, fast, and gives reproducible tool heights.
That would have been me. I can see how the consistent tool height being the benefit to the TTS, and you may be able to do the same with a R8 ER 32 (or some such) collet holder. I am not sure how much variance an R8 gets when you torque it down insofar as Z height change with a locked ER collet.

@Geswearf - you might be able to set 5 different milling tools in a TTS at the same height, but the common practice is set the tool in the collet, measure your Z height and use that as your offset when working.

Do you mean the parts total price is in the ballpark of Priest's kit or finished product? I've dealt with McMaster and yes, they have quality stuff, but you can equal their quality for less money by shopping around. They are, after all, just a mega industrial hardware store. Shopping around takes time, but you learn a lot doing so.

It doesn't have to McMaster I just use it as an example of what I think of as predictable quality. You can fill in your favorite source. But yes once you price out the parts of the Priest package you are probably in the ballpark of what he charges.

What is TTS?

TTS = Tormach Tooling System. There are pdfs on their website describing it. It s a hobbyist-level solution, not in the league of the big boys with BT series holders. Works well for me.

How does a power draw bar give reproducible tool heights? Is the TTS a tool holder system like what is found on a CNC machine? In that case I understand how using high tolerance tool holders will give repeatable accuracy in tool heights. What kind of jig allows you to place the various milling cutters in a tool holder system in order to get the same tool height when installed on the mill?

They have a flat shoulder that registers on the special flat faced R8 collet, thus the reproducible z-height. Works quite well, and is convenient for manual milling, but indispensable for CNC.

That would have been me. I can see how the consistent tool height being the benefit to the TTS, and you may be able to do the same with a R8 ER 32 (or some such) collet holder. I am not sure how much variance an R8 gets when you torque it down insofar as Z height change with a locked ER collet.

@Geswearf - you might be able to set 5 different milling tools in a TTS at the same height, but the common practice is set the tool in the collet, measure your Z height and use that as your offset when working.

Yes you can measure each tool with a height gauge and compensate relative to a common Z standard, or use a tool height setter ( I made one such setter).

Last edited:

What is TTS?

As mentioned it's Tormach Tooling System and it's really simple. It uses a 3/4" R8 collet with the tip ground down so that when the drawbar is tightened, the collet is fully inside the spindle nose. You always leave this single collet in the machine. Every tool you use is placed in a specific TTS toolholder, which has a 3/4" shank and a flange with some form of tool holding e.g. ER20, set screw, arbor, and so on. When you put the TTS toolholder in the R8 collet and tighten the drawbar, a flange on the toolholder is pulled against the mill spindle nose. It's a cheap way to get tool change capability with a traditional R8 spindle.

I already had air at my mill for my fog buster so just ran a splitter to add the air ratchet. Easy peasy. Save your money for tooling that really matters like a decent vise and collets.
I am feeling a new dividing head in my future..... :chunky:

Back