Power Drawbar For Rf-30?

The Belleville washers I used are 12.2 mm ID, 25 mm OD, 2910 newtons,(654 lbs)

Made by Associated Spring Raymond, BD025-150

I bought package of 10 for about 13.00 usd last year from Amazon, seems as if they have raised the price to about 30.00 usd now.

The spring I used on the quill depth stop wasn't quite right for the job. It turns out that 4 rubber garden hose washers are perfect to keep the drawbar from hitting the crosspiece, but are easily compressed when needed to release the tool holder.

phpomwEdMPM[1].jpg

Thanks for the feedback Ben. My little mill/drill which is mainly used for drilling as I have a bigger mill is going the get a upgrade. I will be doing a quick change setup like your's, I have ordered 3 digital scale similar to your's and a gas spring to help take up the play with the down spindle

I've got a captive drawbar on my RF 25, and use a ryobi cordless impact drill. It ejects the MT3 collets and tooling I use no problem at all.

I followed the same format as explained by cuppa joe, here:

I considered the captive drawbar, looks like a good idea, but chose to go with the Belleville washers instead.

The RF30 has a 1/2" hole in the spindle, and the drawbar is 7/16" dia. You would need to bore the spindle 17/32" an inch or so deep. I don't have a drill bit that size, and when I envisioned myself standing on a stepstool trying to drill it by hand, and then tapping 5/8-11,( not gonna remove the quill and mount in the lathe to do properly) I quickly lost interest in that idea. Would also have to turn down part of the drawbar to 3/8" to fit through the bushing.

I wound up having to make a whole new drawbar anyway, so maybe it wouldn't have been so bad after all....

I have my mill mounted a bit higher than usual to save my back, so when the head is in the higher position it is a good stretch to reach the drawbar, so I wanted to avoid having to unscrew it altogether.

BTW, nice job on the "Cuppa Joe" mod, I have a 20 mm shaft and linear bearings waiting to do that to mine eventually.

Back