Power Drive Not Driving All The Way

Wow you guys are great! Thank you so much for taking the time out to help me. This stuff is all new to me.

It was OK, but I outgrew it quickly and with no means to thread, that was it for me. I worked in several "real" machine shops 20+ years ago and was out of the sport only for a lack of space to put machinery.

Sounds like you need to align your tail stock. Jack those screws (loosen one/tighten the other) at the base to budge it right or left. Do you have the manual for it? I found one online for my model (not the same as yours).

I have a manual for the Atlas version I believe? It may be the manual for a slightly different lathe. I have seen them online I just have to get the exact number off my lathe to search for the manual. When I was searching for a manual I couldnt find the badge with the model number, but the other day when I got it running I finally found the badge hiding on the back. I stupidly looked in the front and on the headstock and tailstock side and never looked on the back.

You should be able to remove the half nuts by removing the two screws on either side of the engagement lever. The tailstock has an adjustable gib. Remove the tailstock and slightly loosen the two screws holding the gib. You want them lightly snug. The gib adjustments are the two screws at the bottom front and rear of the tailstock. Adjust them for the desired fit and tighten the retaining screws. On a lathe that has seen much use, you will undoubtedly have more clearance in the "working region"of the bed so check to make sure the tailstock slides freely over its entire range.
To adjust your tailstock laterally, there are two setscrews which move the upper part relative to the base. Loosen the clamp and loosen one of the setscrews and tighten the other to move the tailstock from side to side. Use a center in the spindle and one in the tailstock for alignment. The two points should be directly opposite each other. For a more exact alignment, you can mount a shaft on the two centers and turn two cylindrical sections, one near the headstock center and on near the tailstock center. If the tailstock is properly aligned, the measured diameters will be the same. If they aren't, adjust the tailstock lateral position to bring into alignment. There are a number of posts on this and other websites describing the procedure in more detail.

Bob

Thank you again so much. I will try messing with everything tonight and report back tomorrow. You guys are awesome!

The part with the cross slide doesnt continue all the way on the lead screw. The threads of the lead screw all galled up in a few spots but not where it stops. Would a new lead screw solve this problem?

Hey Threadkiller,

I can't help but wonder if there may be another problem......

My first lathe was a Craftsman 101 similar to yours.
On mine the bed v-ways (that the carriage slide on) were so worn near the head-stock that if I tightened the carriage down enough to eliminate "chatter" while cutting, that it was too tight to travel the full length of the bed.

While you have the lead-screw and half nuts off, try putting the carriage back on, tighten it down near the head-stock so that it takes a good firm pressure to move it, then see if you can slide it the full length of the bed.

You could do the same test with the tailstock.

Typically the bed gets worn most near the head-stock where most of the work happens.

If this is the problem, it could cause the damage to the lead-screw and nut.
It's worth checking.......

-brino

Hey Threadkiller,

I can't help but wonder if there may be another problem......

My first lathe was a Craftsman 101 similar to yours.
On mine the bed v-ways (that the carriage slide on) were so worn near the head-stock that if I tightened the carriage down enough to eliminate "chatter" while cutting, that it was too tight to travel the full length of the bed.

While you have the lead-screw and half nuts off, try putting the carriage back on, tighten it down near the head-stock so that it takes a good firm pressure to move it, then see if you can slide it the full length of the bed.

You could do the same test with the tailstock.

Typically the bed gets worn most near the head-stock where most of the work happens.

If this is the problem, it could cause the damage to the lead-screw and nut.
It's worth checking.......

-brino

Thanks Brino I will check tonight.
I did clean the lead screw and check the half nuts last night. The lead screw is fine but the half nuts are shot. Theres barely any thread left. I may take them apart tonight and see if I could re thread them, if not I could make something that would work. Still have to check the tailstock. Thanks for all the help guys. I did make this last night as my first project. Its not too great but its better than spending $45 for one on ebay or whatever. Obviously the one on the right. I took rough measurements but for the most part I freestyled and just eyeballed things.

IMG_1644.JPG

I did make this last night as my first project. Its not too great but its better than spending $45 for one on ebay

Excellent first project - way better than mine!
Even better than the saved money is the accomplishment.

The more you do, the more work-arounds you will find to overcome any shortcomings or limits of the equipment.
Worn equipment is better than no equipment.

Another great way to learn is to keep reading and posting here with any questions.
The people here are the best; no attitudes, no egos, but many different perspectives, experience levels and equipment types.

-brino

Excellent first project - way better than mine!
Even better than the saved money is the accomplishment.

The more you do, the more work-arounds you will find to overcome any shortcomings or limits of the equipment.
Worn equipment is better than no equipment.

Another great way to learn is to keep reading and posting here with any questions.
The people here are the best; no attitudes, no egos, but many different perspectives, experience levels and equipment types.

-brino

Thank you for the kind words. It was very nice being able to make it myself. I cant wait to think up more stuff to do with it! You guys have all been awesome and helpful. I will continue to read and post and learn.

Back