Power Hacksaw And Rpm

GeorgeH

Registered
Registered
Good Evening

First of All Wish to Everybody Happy Thanksgivin .with Health and Happiness and smille

I bought few months ago a slide mitre saw from Germany .With a diferent blade (64 tooths) u can cut alloy
Dont know if Succed to cut Rod or tube ...
So im thinking to build a power hacksaw .
My Question is.How many rpm ?
Thanks for the time

If a "hacksaw" it is reciprocating motion, no?

The surface speed at which the blade passes through the work is the most important consideration, the stroke length and strokes per minute will give you the meter per minute tool speed, try not to exceed the blade manufacturers suggested speed for a given material then turn it on and walk away until it is finished, it is just a saw.

Use flood coolant if possible.

George, can you explain what a slide mitre saw is? Is it something like a radial saw for wood that you would change the blade for cutting metal?

George, I have a large Keller power hacksaw that runs at about 90 strokes per minute (or RPM) at it's slow setting and about 150 strokes per minute on its fast setting. I never use it on the fast setting, I'm not in that big of a hurry. The saw is set up for flood coolant, but I don't use it because the coolant pump needs work. Instead I've just been using my spray coolant for my mill, applying it with a pump squirt bottle. The blades seem to last forever!

George, I believe that you will find the speed of the miter saw to be far too fast for cutting steel. If you try using the metal blade for steel, you will just burn it up. It may work fine for aluminum or brass, but not steel.

Tozguy, I think he means a chop saw style of miter saw, like is so commonly available these days. Some of them also have a slide of about 10 or 12" built in to them for sawing wider boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon to Everybody
My tools is scheppach special edition HM80MP sliding mitre saw
U must change the Blade to cut allouminium .
Blade with many tooths : http://www.ebay.de/itm/BOSCH-KREISS...X-2-6-MM-64-/301781534263?hash=item464394c637

For this Thinking to make a power hacksaw .The construction is ok for me the problem is the motor .Like my Friend Said 90 rpm to 100 is enough

Thanks for the answers

George
Have a good Weekend

George,

Thanks for the video. Nice tool. I did not know of this type of saw.

great weekend to you too.

Mike

Thanks Mike
Enjoy and have a Nice machining time

George

Back