Powering a 1HP BLDC Lathe in a Van

I'd look at some simple camper van conversions, a simple camper parked with a generator running is a lot less likely to draw unwanted attention that a plain white windowless van (what my son and his friends call a "free candy van" ) idling for extended periods.

A van idling for hours with odd noises coming out of it seems like a like a good way to get a knock on the window from every passing police officer.
A generator will be far cheaper to run as well, they make some pretty low key campers.

I wonder what a police officer would think about some guy parked on the side of the road or in a, say Walmart, parking lot idling his motor and inside working on a lathe.

California plates, they look for drugs, there aren’t any, so I wonder if there’s any problem there?

Why is the stealth part so vital? On site work work for the CIA? If I was running a lathe in a van, I would want all the doors open for air and light. Mike

I wouldn’t be hiding anything. I don’t know if it is legal to leave your engine running and work on machinery in a public parking space. The only problem that I can think of is leaving the engine running.

Staying in an Airbnb or motel room with only books & a laptop for weeks or months at a time when you’re used to having tools & a shop had me wishing that I could just bring one tool with me.

Air quality is another issue that I am considering. With the engine idling, I would want to avoid the vehicle exhaust getting into the work area. Solving this is probably as simple as turning off the vehicle & opening the side door every once in a while.

Providing a lot of light in the work area is easily solved. Where I go, I have access to 110V outlets 24/7, so I will be able to charge lights and cordless tools.

Last edited:
See, I would actually choose to avoid the generator. It is a second (possibly noisier) engine to maintain, plus it takes up valuable space.

If you're going with a dual alternator, I'd consider finding one that could be wired up for 120v directly. A quick googling shows that they are reasonably easy to convert.

See, I would actually choose to avoid the generator. It is a second (possibly noisier) engine to maintain, plus it takes up valuable space.

If you're going with a dual alternator, I'd consider finding one that could be wired up for 120v directly. A quick googling shows that they are reasonably easy to convert.

I have never heard of that. I will Google it now.

If you have the budget just get an RV and build a shop inside. Or a toyhauler so you already have work space.

I have a friend who keeps wanting to design a "stealth" RV but the thing I always come back to is how miserable it would be not having windows and such. You're not likely to fool anybody by using a plain white van, probably more likely to get hassled. I've had several campers and with the limited space inside being able to open a window is a necessity IMHO.

As far as I know there isn't any law against using machine tools in public, if you plan on sleeping in it however some municipalities have a problem with that depending on where you are. If it were me I would plan on having something that would be acceptable in an RV campground, maybe even a shop built into a utility trailer that I could pull behind my living quarters. Have you considered how it will be to have all your clothes, food, etc. saturated with the smell of cutting oil?

This is my "shop trailer", sorry just the outside but I have a drill press, generator, compressor, workbench and a bunch of tools inside.

trailer.jpeg

If you built something similar and made things to sell at craft fairs you could call it a business and write it off on your taxes (consult with an accountant of course).

RV parks are pretty pleasant places and I'm sure many wouldn't mind you puttering on your lathe during daylight hours. You would also have a 30 or 50 amp AC service so wouldn't need to run any sort of generator.

Of course I don't know what your two months out of town consist of but your needs might be met in different ways then you're thinking of now....

John

I have never heard of that. I will Google it now.
It MAY need to be a special made thing, but there are a handful of youtube videos with people converting them. I mean, it MUST be possible, since that is how a generator works, right?

I get two months vacation per year, and I go to vocational schools out of state. My wife only gets 1-2 weeks vacation per year.

So about 38-40 hours/week in school is great, but I am used to staying busy much longer than that. I don’t have anything to do on the evenings & weekends when I’m away.

Back