Practical lengths of stock for home machinists

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently acquired a bunch of stock, mostly round, steel, aluminum and what I think is aluminum-bronze. Quite possibly this is more than I'll ever need so I may offer some pieces for sale but I haven't decided yet and probably should do a few projects with it to know it's properties.

IMG_9333.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to store it and my dad's workbench just happens to have three cubbies on one side which are about 6" x 7" x 20" deep. I was thinking if I broke the long pieces down to 24" max I could easily store all this material in a convenient and organized format. Which leads to my question....

How many of you do projects which start longer than 24" and when you do would you ever start with unknown material vs. just buying what you need from a metals supplier? The few things I've done with longer stock I just ordered it from McMaster-Carr and had it at my door two days later for what I thought was a very reasonable price. The largest USPS Flat Rate Box is just shy of 24" x 12" so I'm unlikely to be shipping anything much longer than 26" anyway and probably most of us routinely start with pieces that are 12" or less.

I would probably keep a few of the longer pieces just in case but I'm thinking the bulk of it would be more useful in smaller sizes anyway.

Thoughts?

John

Last edited:
I save all materials that might be used for future projects. As to length of stock, I rarely need more than a fwew inchses of material. I don't cut my stock though, as I have storage for longer pieces. One reason for longer stock uis that for many projects,you need some sort of a "handle" to hold the stock which results in a waste piece if you start with a length equal to the work plus the handle. If you can run a longer bar through the spindle, you don't have the waste.

24" is probably a good compromise, though. It's easier to store and handle and still long enough to avoid much waste. If I were ordering stock on line, it would be my choice. If I go to the local heavy hardware supply, I have to take full lengths which range from 12' to 24', depe4nding on material. Even so, I will often cut it or have them cut it into lengths convenien to transporting home.

Thanks, that's where I was going with this. I know when I go to the metal supply I either have to find "drops" that are reasonable size or have them cut the standard length in half just to get it into my truck. And this is mostly for fabrication rather than machining where my 48" bed is probably as long as most hobbyists have.

My shop is a 1 car garage and things are pretty tight in there so no room for a normal stock rack. Plus, I've really come to appreciate the ability to choose what material I'm working with and McMaster-Carr does a great job letting me buy just the amount of exactly what I need. I am looking forward to learning with material that doesn't cost so much but I'm having trouble thinking of any projects which would take a full 48" bar.

John

For reasons previously mentioned, I prefer not to cut my stock down. I made a vertical stock rack from a left-over piece of Gridwall panel. It will store a lot of stock, up to 8 ft. long, in a very small space while keeping it visible and accessible.
WP_20200316_10_33_47_Pro.jpg

I have some gridwall panels left over from my shop in Michigan, but honestly if I had that much space in my shop out here it would have another machine in it....

John

I buy stock in 6 foot lengths and leave it same until I need to cut a piece off.
I buy plate in 2×2 feet sections, unless I have a specific purpose in mind and then buy that exact size.

Okay, you guys persuaded me. I’ve put only the short lengths on the shelf. Longer pieces are standing up behind the lathe.

Do you have open rafters in the shop ceiling? If so, consider turning some of the open rafter bays into overhead storage. A single layer of stock across open bays can be very organized and out-of-the-way. Obviously, be careful regarding safe load limits.

I save all materials that might be used for future projects. As to length of stock, I rarely need more than a fwew inchses of material. I don't cut my stock though, as I have storage for longer pieces. One reason for longer stock uis that for many projects,you need some sort of a "handle" to hold the stock which results in a waste piece if you start with a length equal to the work plus the handle. If you can run a longer bar through the spindle, you don't have the waste.

24" is probably a good compromise, though. It's easier to store and handle and still long enough to avoid much waste. If I were ordering stock on line, it would be my choice. If I go to the local heavy hardware supply, I have to take full lengths which range from 12' to 24', depe4nding on material. Even so, I will often cut it or have them cut it into lengths convenien to transporting home.

I prefer 3' for my lathe. I have a bunch of plugs for the tail of the spindle to support material in common sizes. 3' doesn't want to whip for materials down to 1/4" or so for me.

Do you have open rafters in the shop ceiling? If so, consider turning some of the open rafter bays into overhead storage. A single layer of stock across open bays can be very organized and out-of-the-way. Obviously, be careful regarding safe load limits.
Not in this shop but good idea....

John

Back