Practices to develop

Deburr parts before placing in the vise. Slide them back and forth on parallels to eliminate anything underneath.

Always take 2 readings with the edge finder. If they don't agree, take a third. I usually just snug the dial lock after the first reading, fully tighten after the second.

While it is good to practice hitting within .001, come to understand that, except in cases of mating parts, +/-.005 is generally all that is required and frequently more than required.

Definitely don't bring chips into the house.

Deburr your part between fixtures.
Wipe your vise/table/fixture clean clean before fixing work to it. Make everything tight.
Use a test indicator and watch how everything on the machine deflects and moves as you work.
Find the edge as many times as it takes.
If you can't get a stable measurement, use statistics and re-index for the center of the curve.
Don't bring chips into the house.
Or dark colored footprints either ---

One major practice for me has been to not rush it. Do you want it to be done or do you want it done right?
Take a step back and think about what you're doing and what's next before you start something.

But eh, short list:
-Whack things down into the vice and feel your parallels.
-If you hesitate, measure/check again.
-If you feel like you've found a shortcut, be very mindful about why this is a shortcut.
-Take as much as possible into consideration for fine tolerances;
Is your mill perfectly trammed?
Is there any chips/burrs in your vice(keep everything clean)?
Is there a burr on the part so it's throwing of measurements or not sitting square?
Is the endmill/tool sharp/reground/nominal size?
Will locking any gibs change anything?
-Plan ahead, it's better to divide cuts into equal sizes and measure between each pass so the next 'cut' is predictable than having to nibble away at it because you're 1 thou over.
-Finally I would say experience. The more things you make, especially complicated parts, the more and faster you learn how to deal with things.

Here I am, a good three years into my machining journey and I feel like I need some basics on developing good practices.

Coming from a woodworking world where 1/64” was a reasonable tolerance I sometimes struggle to adapt to a machining world where .001 (or less) is the goal.

Specifically, how does one learn to be more precise and accurate?
Apologies in advance if I’m asking huge question!
Aim small, miss small.... (Got that from American Sniper but, I find that it very much applies in machining)

Deburr your part between fixtures.
Wipe your vise/table/fixture clean clean before fixing work to it. Make everything tight.
Use a test indicator and watch how everything on the machine deflects and moves as you work.
Find the edge as many times as it takes.
If you can't get a stable measurement, use statistics and re-index for the center of the curve.
Don't bring chips into the house.
That last one came from your wife didn't it?..... LOL

I have found I need to be particularly careful when resuming a machining job after letting it set awhile. It's all too easy to just plunge ahead and then realize......OOPS..... I just screwed that one up.....
Yeah, me too. I have reached a point where I simply do not start a single operation that I do not have the time to complete, if I can help it, because I will screw it up.

What helped me a great deal transitioning from someone who make *stuff* to someone who makes *nice stuff* is a willingness to remake a part. There are too many variables for anyone to tell you how to make a part "right" the first time, but by remaking a part, you figure it out, and your results are uniformly excellent, if you have the patience.

Oh yeah - rule #2 is "be patient"...

GsT

Back