Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP- ( and w/2axDRO??? )

if you do that work, I would replace the soft press formed C channel with one that is extruded steel.

That is what he did in the video as well... he reinforced the press by building a new base for the bottle and replaced the C channel. He used the piston from the original bottle to have an adjustable press surface. Pretty cool.

Press improvements.JPG

But after your post, I started to look in Craiglist and Facebook Market Place... many used 20-ton press available for a fraction of what it would cost to make all these mods to the HF unit... so I will just get a used one. I will have a more robust press and I can still get to do a few of the small upgrades.

Thank you for making me look. :encourage:

That is what he did in the video as well... he reinforced the press by building a new base for the bottle and replaced the C channel. He used the piston from the original bottle to have an adjustable press surface. Pretty cool.

View attachment 372756

But after your post, I started to look in Craiglist and Facebook Market Place... many used 20-ton press available for a fraction of what it would cost to make all these mods to the HF unit... so I will just get a used one. I will have a more robust press and I can still get to do a few of the small upgrades.

Thank you for making me look. :encourage:
That C channel looks only to be there to ensure the press does not experience axial deflection. Wouldn't think it needs to be too beefy.

I've got an older, 25years, 20 ton press that may be a HF. It is much stouter than the ones they sell now.
DRO?? I've got them on both lathe & mill and really like them, especially on the mill. Required... NO! You can always add one latter and for less $.
Inserted tooling is fine but the really good stuff is expensive. I have a set from PM that is OK, included a couple of boring bars. Most of the time I use HSS that I grind. It's not rocket science to grid an acceptable edge. You will want additional tool holders. One for every tool. Most of mine are from Shars when they put them on sale. I use my PM 5C collet chuck a lot. It's sort of a toss up on whether to get 5C or ER. I got the 5C because I've got other things that the collets fit.

Other things: tap & die sets (good ones, not from the hardware store) 115 piece set of quality drills, I also have a set of screw machine drills that I use more than the jobber drills. Set of 60 & 82 degree center drills. Lots of measuring devices, adjustable parallels, thread pitch, fishtail, angles, depth, height, micrometers, bore measuring, 6" scale, bench grinder, band saw, gage pins ... buy as you find a need.

MsMaster-Carr carries a lot of supplies

I'm older than dirt, retired, and mostly repair things. Make parts that are no longer available. I have a casting setup for aluminum, brass & zinc that allows me to make some parts that would be really difficult or impossible for me to machine from solid. I like the challenges, might even slow down an old mind going to hell.

I have not been able to find a decent tap & die set... all I find around is carp... Would appreciate a recommendation for one...

I have not been able to find a decent tap & die set... all I find around is carp... Would appreciate a recommendation for one...
Just buy the ones you need when you need them. Sets are usually crap.

19M3 × 0.50 mm, M4 × 0.70 mm, M5 × 0.80 mm, M6 × 1.00 mm, M8 × 1.25 mm, M10 × 1.50 mm, and M12 × 1.75 mmPlugRoundM3 × 0.50 mm, M4 × 0.70 mm, M5 × 0.80 mm, M6 × 1.00 mm, M8 × 1.25 mm, M10 × 1.50 mm, and M12 × 1.75 mm__Metal CaseDie Wrench, Screwdriver, Tap Wrench (2), Thread Gauge2646A14198.46
McMaster-Carr HSS Note that this set has round dies for threading. If you want to repair threads get the hex dies.

Last edited:
19M3 × 0.50 mm, M4 × 0.70 mm, M5 × 0.80 mm, M6 × 1.00 mm, M8 × 1.25 mm, M10 × 1.50 mm, and M12 × 1.75 mmPlugRoundM3 × 0.50 mm, M4 × 0.70 mm, M5 × 0.80 mm, M6 × 1.00 mm, M8 × 1.25 mm, M10 × 1.50 mm, and M12 × 1.75 mm__Metal CaseDie Wrench, Screwdriver, Tap Wrench (2), Thread Gauge2646A14198.46
McMaster-Carr HSS Note that this set has round dies for threading. If you want to repair threads get the hex dies.
Thank you!

Just buy the ones you need when you need them. Sets are usually crap.
That is what I have been doing. But the only ones that I can get locally when in need, are the Irwin. They have worked well so far, but I kept forgetting to ask here in the forum for recommendation on a good set.

Apologies for the long post... So the questions/requests that I have:

1. DRO or not? I do not mind spending the additional 500.00. That is not the issue. I do mind wasting that money if there is really no need for it.

2. Anyone has a photo of a Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP with the DRO installed? I can't seem to find any photos of that setup.
Once I had DROs I have never looked at my handwheel markings.
I have a PM 10-22 which is the same lathe as yours with 8" lopped off of the bed. The PM DRO that I have has served me well. The only complaint is the cross-slide scale interferes with the tailstock.

IMG_3424.JPG
To allow cuts close to the tailstock I have made a solid mount for the QCTP that you can swap to the left to the right side depending on where the tool needs to be. The solid mount greatly increases rigidity (I'm looking at you cutoff tool).

IMG_3426.JPGIMG_3423.JPG

This lathe and DRO were ordered about 10 months ago. It may be different than the one that they are shipping now.

IMG_3425.JPG

As for backplates:
What a pain in the backside!! I ordered a spare with my lathe but it was cast for a 4 jaw chuck. I eventually found some from Grizzly but had to machine a sleeve to correct the wrong size center hole. This cowboy explains how to get one ($11 !!!!).

As for taps:
High quality taps and dies are worth their weight in gold. I build very small things in imperial and metric that use taps and dies often not included in a tap "set". Those I buy individually (YG-1 on Amazon). Generally, very small, good quality taps cost more that larger ones, $22 for a 2mm tap.

Thank you!

That is what I have been doing. But the only ones that I can get locally when in need, are the Irwin. They have worked well so far, but I kept forgetting to ask here in the forum for recommendation on a good set.
I think that I could cut better threads with a hatchet than I could with an Irwin tap.

Thank you!

Ahh. I meant buy quality ones from a distributer for the size you need when needed. It would take a few days to arrive however, so you would want to determine fastener strategy while you were planning your project.

Back