Precision Matthews PM-728VT Mill Leaking Way Oil

I do have a modicum of mechanical abilities. However, when you buy a brand new product, the expectation is that it should be free of defects. When I buy a new car, if it has an issue, I take it back to the stealership to get it fixed. If I buy something that turns out to be broken, I take it back and exchange it. If there was a video on how to disassemble and reassemble this exact mill, I might consider taking it apart. The point is, I shouldn't have to. Now you'll say, "Then live with the issue."

Not saying to live with the issue at all, but you may have to work on it to get it to the level that you would like. For some reason, I knew the subject of cars would come up. Cars are made for the masses that expect perfection when they get in and drive away, and for the most part that is what they get. The modern car is really a modern day engineering marvel.
To me it sounds like the pump assembly is leaking internally and allowing it to run into the distribution lines? If that is the case, they should at least replace the pump and see where it goes from there.
FWIW I have a new 1440 lathe made in Taiwan. All is not perfect on that either unfortunately, but for the price point we are buying these machines at, I can work on it some.

Having the same issue with my PM-728VT pretty much since new (leaking). Then the oiler just stopped working, would not build up any pressure. And that tin cup thing that is under the oiler handle kept flopping down and spilling oil out of it. I sent PM a picture and they said they hadn't heard of that issue. Then a day or so later (this is early 2022) they said they are aware of a "factory" issue with the oilers and they would send me a replacement when they came in.

Just got the replacement. Not sure if it leaks or not, since it doesn't work! Does not build up any pressure. I took the Z-axis oil line off at the top, pumped the handle many times, no oil coming out. I just emailed them again to ask if they tested any of the new pumps or just sent them out.

Rick

Got a reply from PM that it is likely not the pump but a faulty check valve in the elbow. I took the elbows off and pumped it.....nothing. I just emailed them to let them know, and also to point out that it couldn't possibly be the check valve. That would mean the pump would not pump any oil out and would be trying hard to, so a lot of pressure on the handle. There is no pressure and not a drop of oil coming out.

Edit: I have to apologize to PM (and I did). The issue with this second oiler was not (really) their fault). A little more investigation and I found that I didn't have enough oil in it! But, in my defence, I had it about half way up the sight glass and when looking inside it, that was not enough to cover the oil inlet. So the sight glass in not at all in the correct place and filling it half way up the glass is not enough to get the pump working.

So as long as this one continues to pump and doesn't leak, things are good.

Last edited:
I have actually spoken to them twice and they are willing to replace any faulty parts but that means that I have to disassemble and do the detective work of finding where the leak is coming from. I'm not a mill mechanic and this is my first mill. I guess I should keep my expectations low.
I understand your frustration but have come to accept that I will have to be able to diagnose problems with equipment from time to time. The electrical contactor, basically a large relay, went out on my 728 a few months after using my mill. The replacement contactor did not work at first so tech support sent me an electrical diagram for the 728. The diagram highlighted I needed to transfer some terminal jumpers from the old part to the new. A little frustrating but works perfectly again.

UPDATE...

Precision Matthews sent me a new oiler which I installed, filled and tested. Guess what??? No more oil leaks. Your mileage may vary.

Mine arrived with an obvious leak while on the pallet. During a table range and freedom of movement check, part of the table end (hand wheel mount) contacted the oil line "T" fitting on the machine's right side where it is mounted in proximity, damaging the oil line. PM supplied replacement parts to correct it. Later I finally discovered the leak present on arrival, was the result of the 90 deg fitting on the top side of the column, which was not screwed in tightly and was leaking from the the thread area.

Ultimately in order to eliminate the leaks, some of the line ends would need to have a piece of tape wrapped around them for a snug fit in the port (table supply) and all fittings would need to be checked and possibly thread sealed to solve the problem. If air can't be kept out of the lines, it's not a one shot oiler, as it has to be pumped until the air is out of the lines.

I'm happy with the machine and don't see it as a real problem. I have a PM1228 on order and am hoping for no surprises like the one barnbwt experienced here; https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-1228vf-lb.61532/

Back