Precision Matthews PM-728VT Mill Leaking Way Oil

I have the same experience with a practically brand new PM-728.

I just noticed the same thing with my new 728-VT this week. I soaked it all up with a towel, then there was a bunch more the next day. Rinse and repeat. I haven't investigated any further yet, I'm such a complete novice that I really have no idea what I'd be looking for, and the prospect of actually disassembling it is intimidating.

My 728 one-shot oiler is leaking like a sieve. PM knows about the issue, but can offer no guidance. Apparently almost all the PM-728V have this problem.

Has anyone tried disassembling the oiler to diagnose? I placed paper towels under it to identify how the oil is exiting the oiler (out through the bottom slot where the lever enters).

I spoke with PM about this. They acknowledge the oiler has a leak, but offer no guidance on a fix. I'm hesitant to disassemble, especially since they do not currently have replacement parts for it. This is a real bummer.

This photo reveals the position of the leak. After a few days the towel is completely saturated.

IMG_3850.jpeg

My original post is spot on for me. As you would be standing in front of the mill, I placed paper towels all along the left side of the mill under the oil reservoir all the way to the front under the table. Indeed, it's leaking from the front left somewhere. I can't tell where and I've had a flashlight looking. It looks like it may be coming from underneath the table somewhere. I don't think I'm going to find the leak unless I disassemble it and I'm not a mill mechanic. I'm not looking forward to this at all!!! I wish I could just ship it back to PM and have them fix it or ship me a new one without this issue. If they knew this was an issue, then they should not have sold the mill until it was fixed in their warehouse. For the amount of money I paid for the entire setup, I expected more. I really do like PM products, however, just a little frustrated at this issue.

May I suggest a phone call to PM and a chat with someone from their technical department. Surely some dialog would lead to a resolution of the issue.

I spoke with them first. I think they are caught between a rock and a hard place, as are many importers. Tough times.

I have actually spoken to them twice and they are willing to replace any faulty parts but that means that I have to disassemble and do the detective work of finding where the leak is coming from. I'm not a mill mechanic and this is my first mill. I guess I should keep my expectations low.

I have actually spoken to them twice and they are willing to replace any faulty parts but that means that I have to disassemble and do the detective work of finding where the leak is coming from. I'm not a mill mechanic and this is my first mill. I guess I should keep my expectations low.
You are going to machine parts on this mill, correct?
If you are, then i would hope you have a modicum of mechanical abilities. Take the thing apart and figure it out. They are not complicated at all.

Back