Precision Matthews Review

I bought a PM1440HD lathe in2016. A long wait to get it. The The MT4 drill chuck and live center didn't fit the MT3 of the machine. They were replaced by PM quickly. The Easson DRO has continued to work well. The lathe has been good but there are things that could have been better made. Nothing that I couldn't fix or live with. I got a 5C chuck & collet set @ the same time, very nice!

Over time I've bought several PM items all have been decent except the last one. An ER40 chuck. Tech help as been accommodating and they sent a replacement. ER40 to R8 collet chuck runs true and the collet set seems fine.

This is just a hobby for an old man. If it was my business I would likely not be buying Chinese equipment. But buying from a reliable supplier for my hobby is worth the small % difference in price over gambling with some of the other sellers. Service costs the seller and has a value to the buyer.

I purchased a PM1030V lathe and a PM727V mill in 2018 as a "know-nothing-and-can-guarantee-will-break-something" novice machinist. And sure enough, I did. But with the help of the good folks at PM, my down time was minimal (us old retirees don't have a lot of patience for something that is not working, regardless of who is at fault), cost was nill and I learned a lot about the machines. Are the machines perfect? Like me, no. They are entry level machines. But they come with a 3 year warranty and a capable and understanding crew for support. I am learning how to use them, improving on my repeatability and precision.
The machines were a gamble, one that has paid off nicely.

Back