Precision Matthews X Axis Power Feed

Erik,
I didn't have to drill and tap any holes to mount the power feed to my PM30MV. After going back and looking closer at your pictures, I can see that the PM25 and PM30 have quite a few more differences than I figured. Anyway, the end plate I made completely replaced the stock end plate, so I was able to use the holes it used to mount my new end plate. I also put a bronze bushing in my end plate to better support the lead screw, so it has less slop and runs much smoother. I removed the ball oiler from the old end plate and put it in my new end plate.
As far as the limit switch, my original stop had two side by side holes instead of the two up down holes you have, so the limit switch more or less bolted right up and did not interfere with the ball oilers. I did not use the dust cover either.
You have a very nice mill in the PM-30V! I had forgotten that one could relocate the ball oilers. PM sells them in 6 and 8mm (picture below). Maybe I could do a one shot oiler system while I'm at it. I see a lot of info on those online.

It is starting to look like I will not be returning the kit. I modified so many parts, and PM asked for pictures. I sent pictures, but at this point the power feed kit is installed and I am using the mill a lot. Today will be about 5 hours of milling steel before I go to work.

I really do love the PM-25MV, the DRO and the motor in the power feed kit, so I would take that deal anyday.

Ball-Oiler-for-Lathe-or-Milling-Machine.jpg

Everything worked out fine. After persevering in mounting the power feed kit, the effort finally paid off. Now I am using the mill with the power feed kit. PM did offer to allow me to return it, but I can see that I need a power feed.

I relieved the dust cover a little more, and now it doesn’t get in the way of anything.

Here it is installed with no current issues.

So you are liking it aside from the install issues? I read that it was a bit under powered and is always engaged making the hand-wheel a pain for manual?

Have any video of it in action?

Last edited:
So you are liking it aside from the install issues? I read that it was a bit under powered and is always engaged making the hand-wheel a pain for manual?

Have any video of it in action?
Yes, the x-axis handwheel is a little difficult to turn, but I just call it a forearm workout.

I will be very happy to make a video of the action. That will be up here within 24 hours.

I am very happy with the mill. Precision Matthews has gone above and beyond in all aspects of customer service.

Here is a video of my first project with this, my first milling machine:

Back