Press Fit of Aluminum

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Morning all,
How much larger should the diameter of a 6061 aluminum shaft be to allow a press fit into the same 6061 aluminum?

Thanks in advance.
Michael

Machinery handbook has it all. Here is the table i think you want.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 88
Are you talking about the handle on the crank or the crankshaft itself?

Are you sure that the shaft is Al? Wouldn't steel be a better choice? Pressing Al onto an Al shaft, there's a chance of bending the shaft - which would mean "start over". Not so much with Al onto a steel shaft.

Pressing aluminum into aluminum is not a good idea. The parts will gall when pressed.

Here's the plan....
I have 3/4" aluminum plate and plenty of round bar, also aluminum. I want to make a new crank and handle for my mini lathe carriage but, I need a bushing to be drilled, bored and reamed to fit the shaft with a set screw. I thought I could press a piece of round bar into a disk cut from the plate and then drill and ream that for the shaft. Add a knob with bearings on the front and I'm done.

Here's the plan....
I have 3/4" aluminum plate and plenty of round bar, also aluminum. I want to make a new crank and handle for my mini lathe carriage but, I need a bushing to be drilled, bored and reamed to fit the shaft with a set screw. I thought I could press a piece of round bar into a disk cut from the plate and then drill and ream that for the shaft. Add a knob with bearings on the front and I'm done.
Yea, I have done that. I would heat the disk in the oven to 150 degrees F /freeze the shaft and put together. .003" will work. Drill one or two 1/8 holes after they are together at the joint and place a dowel pin in it for a permanent joint.

Back
Top Bottom