Press for bearing installation

nnam

Registered
Registered
My 20 ton hydraulic press is wiggling and just not the kind of precision I would expect for bearings. A long while back, I passed a great deal on a good old arbor press, mainly because it was too big and heavy (which is great, but big and heavy :) ).
So what do you think about this? Is the wiggling of a hydraulic press acceptable, and bearing just "find" its way into its slot, or it should be high precision, rigid and parallel (the bottom of the bottle's stud and the cross support part). That would probably be impossible with a hydraulic press, unless it's very expensive, or DIY kind.

A wiggling press is not ideal for pressing in bearings. But is doable with some careful setup and making sure the bearing is started straight.

The best solution is to make the needed modifications to the press to make it more precision. Inverting the bottle jack is one thing you can do that would help a bunch. Then align everything and weld the frame to eliminate the wiggle in the bolts.

Here is a video of some mods. There are more videos on Youtube.

That's a very nice build. I was contemplating building one for a long time, then ended up buying one instead. Looking at that build makes me want to build one. It doesn't seem to take much work (it's always like that for my projects, but then extends on and on :) ). Maybe I will find a way to modify mine. Like putting the bottle upside down as you said.

I use my homemade 20T for bearings all the time. Mine is very solid, and has air over hyd for hands free use, but really shouldn't matter. Just go slow getting it started, and as said above it will self guide into the bore. Mike

started. MikeCIMG3505.JPGbut it really shouldn't matter. Just go slow getting it started. Mike

Very nice press. What's the thickness of your metal? I am going to make one when I have time. So I will look out for materials.

A screw press is nice for bearings that small. Slow and relatively delicate. Sometimes a heavy C-clamp can be used.

I tend to take a few goes at it to get it lined up straight keeping the pressure low until its going on right.

Back