[How do I?] Prevent the MT2 taper from slipping

Better to bore it. With the wood working hole saw it won’t leave a good finish anyway and you would bore it to clean up the hole.
That appears to be a metal cutting hole saw, but yes, boring would be better, or in addition to (after) the saw

You stated that the material is aluminum. Turning that hole all into chips (bore it) would not be a big deal. Most grades of aluminum cut very easily - it wouldn't take long.

Cut the hole, save the slug . Chips are good if you can melt them into a slug and make somthing with them

Last edited:
Do it on the drill press, don't mess up your nice lathe chuck and tailstock. Or, better yet, bore it like most of the others have mentioned
Mark

Last edited:
I have been reading this with interest. I cringed when I saw the hole saw in the tail stock. Sure to spin!!
Good ideas on this thread.
One more reason to sponsor this site :)

Thanks guys. I have a large Jacobs Superchuck that I could use also rather than keyless. A tang would be useless since the tailstock has no slot. My drill press has a slot! Heck I think I will go that route.
Robert

:encourage::encourage::encourage:

...So I put the hole saw in the drill press...set it for the lowest speed...used plenty of lubricant.
The immediate chatter coming off the tool was somewhere between headache generating and terrifying. When I backed off the quill, the MT2 taper fell right out! Screw that.
I went back to the lathe and used the solution that we all know takes time but works.

41148870490_4d66425c44_h.jpg

I drilled with a 1" bit and then got out the boring bar. I made a mountain of chips out of good aluminum but it worked.

42057834335_763f79a029_h.jpg

I noticed that they now make a hole saw with a few evenly spaced carbide teeth. I wonder if that would have worked better. More like a trepanning tool perhaps?

884835005061.jpg

Robert

My guess is that it would still chatter. The thin bell shape and four evenly spaced cutting tips around the circumference would create the same forces as the hole saw you have already. If the tool had only one cutting tip then I would have more faith in it to cut properly on the lathe although it is not a very rigid tool to start with.

Something like this;
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/98332463

mounted on the tool post (not the tailstock) might work.

Last edited:
Back