Pricing 4 jaw chuck

Jason280

Registered
Registered
I have a 12" Craftsman lathe, which came with a fairly worn out 3 jaw chuck. Runout is in the neighborhood of 30-40 thou, mainly due to (I think) worn/bell mouthed jaws.

I've been using a 4 jaw chuck with independent jaws, but just came across a local deal for a Forte 5" 4 jaw scroll chuck for Atlas lathes.

Any guesses on a fair price for the chuck, and how consistent are these compared with a 3 jaw chuck? Is setup still just as quick as the standard 3 jaw? I'd mainly looking for a chuck that's more accurate than my worn out 3 jaw, but setup is quicker than an independent 4 jaw.

1567165294751-1097735153_jpg-1072229.JPG

1567165313616-438476420_jpg-1072230.JPG

15671653328441018250346_jpg-1072231.JPG

Grind the jaws on your 3 jaw for quick work, get an independent 4 jaw for precise work. If you want both invest in an adjustable chuck like a "Buck Chuck" but they are pricey new and not easy to find used.

First, check the runout on the diameter and the faces at both the front and back of the vise. If it is not within a couple thou, then start by looking at the spindle with an indicator for damage, looseness, and/or wear. Only after you have done that should you be looking at the chuck for problems. Otherwise, you can end up with a new chuck that is no better or even worse than the one you have now.

I agree, a "Buck" adjust tru chuck is the best of both worlds. If you can find one in decent condition at a decent price I WOULD NOT walk away from it!

Is that chuck off of eBay? If so, the problem is that you don't know what you're getting, and you might
wind up with a chuck that's no better than what you have. You can get lucky, but on the other hand...
If you want a new chuck, you can buy a Chinese chuck like a Shars, which don't cost much but may not
perform as well as you might like or something better like a Bison, which costs quite a bit more.

Someone told me that 3 jaw chuck is better for general work because it will grip firmly even if material is not 100% round, where 4 jaw chuck will tighten 3 jaws and leave 1 loose if the material is not perfectly round (or rectangular). A bit like 3 legged stool that never rocks.
Don't have personal experience but the argument sounds plausible...

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Grzdomagala, the 4 jaw chuck jaws are independently adjustable. That means it's up to you to figure out how to tighten each one. They grip round, rectangular, etc. It's up to you. The three legged stool analogy is not applicable.

Ah, disregard. I believe you're talking about a 4 jaw scroll chuck. Yep, seems like a bad idea, though I've never used or even seen one.

Jason, how convinced are you that your jaws are bell-mouthed? I ask because this is possible but excessive run out on a 3 jaw doesn't always mean it is being caused by the jaws. While bell-mouthing is not uncommon, wear in the scrolls or the jaw guides is a more probable reason.

The other thing is that run out on a 3 jaw is basically meaningless as a measurement unless it is done under proper conditions. A 3 jaw is a first operation chuck, meaning if you put some nominal stock in it and turn it then the work piece will be concentric with the spindle centerline unless you remove it; the accuracy of the chuck is not important. I suggest you mount a work piece and be sure that stick out is less than 2 times the diameter of the work piece. Then take a 0.010" depth of cut to get it round, then a 0.002-0.003" depth of cut and try to get a decent finish. Then, without disturbing the work piece or loosening the jaws, measure run out with a dial indicator. This is really the only way to measure the run out on a 3 jaw chuck. It should read zero run out. If you still have 0.03 - 0.04" run out then I would guess you have bigger problems than a bell-mouthed chuck.

If you do need to replace the chuck then I would think that a 4-3/8" chuck is a bit small for a 12" lathe and I would go for at least a 6" chuck. I would choose a 3 jaw if I were you. I own a 4 jaw scroll chuck and they are really good for mounting nominal square stock for turning; holds stuff solid. It also holds round stock just as well as a 3 jaw, possibly better, and it being a scroll chuck, it is just as fast and easy to use as a 3 jaw scroll chuck is. This 3-legged stool thing sounds like nonsense to me because even if the work is slightly off to begin with, it won't be once you take a cut in a first operation. The main reason I would go for a 3 jaw is because they are much more common and you're more likely to find a decent one.

You do not need a set-tru chuck for most first operation work, which is what most of us do. Set-tru chucks are useful if you have multiples of the same diameter to turn; in this case, they can be very accurate. They can be very useful for second operation work, where the work piece has already been turned and you are re-mounting it and need to restore accuracy. Most of us would use a 4 jaw independent or a collet for this but a set-tru is potentially just as accurate for this scenario. The misconception that you can zero a set-tru and have it turn everything that you put in it run dead nuts true is common but inaccurate. You can make a set-tru run more accurately than a non-set-tru chuck but for a first operation the accuracy of the chuck is a non-issue.

By the way, I own two set-tru chucks, a Yuasa 3 jaw and a Pratt Burnerd 6 jaw. I haven't set up the PB yet but the Yuasa is and it is a very fine chuck. It runs out about 0.0001" with the pin I used to adjust it BUT it runs out more for anything else I put in it for second operations work unless I take the time to readjust it for that specific work piece. For a first operation cut, it is as accurate as any other chuck I own.

Okay, back on track. I suggest you buy a decent 6 or 6.5" 3 jaw chuck. If you cannot find a chuck threaded for your spindle then buy a decent plain back chuck and mount it to a backplate that does fit your spindle. This will work better for you as opposed to buying that 4 jaw scroll chuck, at least in my opinion.

I think I have a Bison 4 jaw scroll chuck that will fit that machine along with a 3 jaw chuck . Not sure of the back plate sizes though . I like the 4 jaw scroll for turning square stock easily , the 3 jaw for round or hex stock . The 4 jaw scroll is just as accurite as any 3 jaw as it's an adjust true Bison .

Back