Pricing 4 jaw chuck

Thanks for the information!

Jason, how convinced are you that your jaws are bell-mouthed?

You can look at the jaw faces and tell they aren't consistent.

Then its time for a new chuck!

I have a 12" Atlas with chucks etc but not sure what the spindle specs are on it just because I haven't had time to mess with it . It's a 3996 if anyone knows offhand . I have a few chucks and backplate from a Heavy 10 and a few from the Clausing 12" . I'm looking for L00 backplates and chucks if anyone has them to sell or trade .

While I'm at it , does anyone know offhand if the mounting plates on Jacob Flex collet chucks are interchangeable ? I sold my L00 on Ebay awhile back and am now in need of one . I have a L0 left and would change the back plate if possible . :rolleyes:

Does that mean the chuck is garbage to the point he couldn't grind the jaws?

If the only issue is bell-mouthing of the jaws then grinding the jaws is certainly an option. However, at least in my experience, the jaw guides are usually also worn on a chuck like this. Bell-mouthing occurs when work is held in the forward part of the jaws and eventually the jaw slots and lands begin to wear when a chuck is abused like this. Grinding the jaws may even out the jaws but does squat for the slots and lands. For myself, I wouldn't bother; I would replace the chuck.

If the only issue is bell-mouthing of the jaws then grinding the jaws is certainly an option. However, at least in my experience, the jaw guides are usually also worn on a chuck like this. Bell-mouthing occurs when work is held in the forward part of the jaws and eventually the jaw slots and lands begin to wear when a chuck is abused like this. Grinding the jaws may even out the jaws but does squat for the slots and lands. For myself, I wouldn't bother; I would replace the chuck.

Absolutely . If the chuck is that gone , it's not worth the time trying to save it plus you get to buy something new ! :encourage:

The ideal to find is a four jaw with both options scroll and independent. There out there but cost. Six jaw is another great option if you find one in your price range. I love my six jaw and have used it for thirty plus years. It's a 6" for my logan 11" lathe.

Back