Prime number division without gearing?

I do have a Cincinnati high number dividing plate I scored off of eBay years back that has a row of 127 holes. Haven't mounted it to my rotary table yet.

It would be nice to get someone here to offer to make a 127 hole plates for their dividing head using their CNC mill. Any offers?

I do have a Cincinnati high number dividing plate I scored off of eBay years back that has a row of 127 holes. Haven't mounted it to my rotary table yet.

It would be nice to get someone here to offer to make a 127 hole plates for their dividing head using their CNC mill. Any offers?
That is a good idea, Ken. Keith Rucker had a set of plates made on a CNC machine for his K&T horizontal mill. A friend of Keith who is a manager in a machine shop did the work for him. I am not much into CNC in home shops (old fart), but for making stuff like dividing plates, it is the only way to go! You could spend most of a lifetime doing it manually, even with using a DRO for the hole locations. Without any electronic assistance, the job is likely to end in mistakes and failure.

Tell ya what. If somebody will give all the holes in an X#.### Y#.### format, one hole per line, with the center of the plate at X0.000 Y0.000 I will run it.

karl
I guess I could take the plate I have and overlay it as a template on top of a new plate and drill those holes by hand. Ooh! 127 holes to drill by hand! I'm going to think on that!
On CNC mill, there's got to be a subroutine that could be plugged into the programming to locate 127 holes on a circle, without hand cranking coordinates and programming.

I guess I could take the plate I have and overlay it as a template on top of a new plate and drill those holes by hand. Ooh! 127 holes to drill by hand! I'm going to think on that!
On CNC mill, there's got to be a subroutine that could be plugged into the programming to locate 127 holes on a circle, without hand cranking coordinates and programming.
Aren't the Cincinnati plates drilled on both sides? Could complicate that approach.
I made a 127 tooth by differential indexing with my B&S dividing head, of a pitch that fits my automatic gear cutter, then cut a gear of a pitch to fit my 19" Regal Leblond that requires a gear of a smaller numbered pitch; the dividing head would not accommodate a gear that large of diameter without raising blocks, which I do not have, besides which, the larger the blank the more tendency to chatter; the gear cutter has a back rest to address the tendency.

Nope, CNCs are not that smart. you have to tell it exactly what to do.

A few decades back, I wrote some g-code to scribe 360 degree marks on a disk. I believe that I did it with the conditional programming. It cut four 9 mm lines for degree positions, 12mm lines for five degree positions, and a 15mm line at every degree position.

It was actually my first attempt at writing g-code. I used polar coordinates and left it to the machinist finish filling out the code. We had a CNC machine but the machinist had never written any code. He only used conversational programming or some simple routines that came with the controller. I don't recall what the machine was or how this would relate to other machines.
Here is the code:
Degree Marking G- Code.JPG

Other than that, it would be a simple matter to create the model in SolidWorks or Fusion and let the CAM program write the code.

Nope, CNCs are not that smart. you have to tell it exactly what to do.
I'll check with my brother. I bet he has something in his bag of tricks that would work without having to calculate and type out every coordinate point. Of course, it may require buying a half million dollar machine to do it on too.

A dividing plate is just a series of bolt circles, basically, just multiple circles. That is a very common task for both manual and CNC equipment. I am certainly not a CNC programmer, but cannot believe it is that difficult to drill multiple bolt circles on a flat plate. I think doing it manually would be the challenge (drudgery caused mistakes), but suppose lots of them were done that way, at least the templates for the production runs.

Yes, I know it could be a new and challenging frontier for some. It kinda was for me. But, I now have stepper motors on my dividing head and Levin lathes. I can now punch in any divisions I want. And no more turning that handle. And easy to run, hard to make a mistake, I just push the button. I do have a very minor error on some divisions, but it’s very small…Dave.

Back