Problem with wiring of 1946 lathe and drum switch

I'm not sure I understand your meter readings but it sounds like you got it working- Y/N?
-M
Analog needle meter or digital? Analog is easier for this test- the needle should swing over to 0 ohms then climb up to high ohms each time you swap the leads
Digital meters can be harder to interpret but should behave similarly

I'm not sure I understand your meter readings but it sounds like you got it working- Y/N?
-M
Analog needle meter or digital? Analog is easier for this test- the needle should swing over to 0 ohms then climb up to high ohms each time you swap the leads
Digital meters can be harder to interpret but should behave similarly
I haven’t had the chance to test yet but I’m confident in the solution.

It was a cheepo Harbor Freight digital meter. It works ok for what I need.

I basically understand that resistance going from 0 to 100% causes the electrical path to shift. But that’s about all. Using a higher meter setting helped by slowing down the transitions.

I flunked EE-101 in college because I don’t do theory well and I never learned how to use a slide rule. My father could pull out his slide rule and solve any equation you could think of (slide, slide, slide, … answer).

Ok. What you are measuring is the charging and discharging of the start capacitor. It's usually in a loop with the start winding and centrifugal switch forming the "start leg". The start switch opens the loop when the motor gets up to speed.
I was fortunate that I never had to use a slide rule- pencil and paper or calculator for me :)

Assuming you identify C1 & C2 this diagram should work with that switch. View attachment 393088

In Clueless's drawing above, the upper end of the switch with terminals 1 and 2 is the handle end.
-M
With your help, the motor is wired up and the lathe is running! I did need to reverse C1 and C2 but the wiring diagram prepared me for that.

Thank you both for you help, couldn’t have done this without you!

Rob

Back