Profiling/Contouring With Manual Machine Tools - Part One

J

Jimbo

Forum Guest
Register Today
Great article Randy!

Thank you for the tips and Ideas.

As a fellow woodworker, I have the cheap set of router bits. I am slowly replacing them with better ones as I can. I am always looking at the home depot and lowes for the sticker that says clearance. I just picked up 3 Bosch bits with 1/2" shank for about $6.00 each.

Jim

What an idea. Thanks, Randy. Your articles are always full of great ideas and alternative methods to achieve the same ends. Keep up the good work and articles coming.

Pat

Good job Randy 30 years ago when I had half a brain I made a set of beading dies about
3" dia. out of alum. both male and female also cutting rollers with 1' shafts and two starter
gears from a Detroil Diesel also flange rollers. I have no clue how it did that until I just read
this perhaps thats what I did but I know I ground a good radius on the tool bull nose. I do
know no math or calulations were made at that time I couldnt even read a yard stick.
good work and ideas

Great article Randy!

Thank you for the tips and Ideas.

As a fellow woodworker, I have the cheap set of router bits. I am slowly replacing them with better ones as I can. I am always looking at the home depot and lowes for the sticker that says clearance. I just picked up 3 Bosch bits with 1/2" shank for about $6.00 each.

Jim

I would stay with either ,Amana,Freud or Whiteside router bits. I haven't used Bosch so I won't comment on them.I am sure their are other manufacturers that make quality cutters that I did not mention.I am a retired carpenter and used routers extensively in the past 50 years.
I have found that quality cutters last much longer before they are toast. I only had large expensive cutters resharpened. Smaller cutters I tossed in the trash when they got worn. Did not pay to have them resharpened.
The cost differential is huge,initial cost of a 1/2" shank 3/4" straight cutter is only $2.00 /$3.00 more than bargain ones.
but when you figure the amount of lineal feet an inexpensive cutter versus a quality cutter can do, then the real cost is known.
If your use of a particular style of cutter is limited then I might buy an inexpensive cutter,maybe,probably not.
mike

What Article is this thread in reference to?

Chuck

I'm in line with that guestion,What?

Back