[How-To] Projects for restored vintage ATLAS LATHE MODEL # 101-07361

BBgepo

Registered
Registered
I have recently restored a vintage ATLAS Model # 101-07361 that belonged to my father. I believe it was manufactured in 1937. I am looking for some entry level projects to do on it since I am not a machinist by trade. I would welcome any suggestions or if anyone can direct me to a site that could give me some ideas. Also, where can I go to get metal stock to machine?

Attachments

• 20220330_204310_HDR.jpg
    20220330_204310_HDR.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the good info. Will South Bend Lathe works apply to Atlss?

Hi BBgepo , I would start with making tooling for your lathe . Actually I would start with buying a quick change tool post , the lantern is nice for photo opps but can be aggravating , time consuming to set and then you have to do it all over again when you change over to a different tool . I got my quick change here https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=-419988835, I think the OXA for the 9X20 would be a good fit . I would call to make sure , you will also need a "T" nut , I got mine from the bay . The QCTP will make positioning the tool and setting the tool height doable and once it's done it's done .
For projects , first I would make a holder for a travel indicator that goes on the bed (you really need that) . Then make a tap holder and a die holder that goes in the tail stock . How are you doing for measuring tools , cutting tools ? For a parting tool get the thinnest one you can (cuts down on chatter) Don't forget a Kennedy tool box .
Nice job on getting the lathe looking good and up and running .
Keep us posted , Mark .

Nice looking machine!
You might want to try a simple compressed air engine- I think it's called a "wobbler"

Back