Projects? Tool improvements or real projects?

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not that it's a bad thing but seems like all the projects I see are things to improve the use of our machines. Are people actually making innovational inventions requiring lathes and mills?

No , HM is filled with tool junkies, they need more tools. Just ask Dave @mmcmdl ..

yea, people make things... Some very cool things. Charles @savarin is making the coolest Binocular for searching the stars. Some do automotive work, some do repair stuff. seems like you have missed much of the cool stuff. Maybe you are concentrating on the TOOL stuff too.

Not that it's a bad thing but seems like all the projects I see are things to improve the use of our machines. Are people actually making innovational inventions requiring lathes and mills?
Interesting question. Thinking about it as a person who came to machining in order to build scale train models, it just seems more appropriate to post about tool work here and model work on the other forums where I hang out, as the folks more interested in each are in those respective places.

Thinking about it more, turns out I haven't done any machined model parts yet, still making the tools... :grin:

If I had more space I would have more tools . I build everything with them . Being a machinist's website we hear about machine tools , but everything in life is built around the use of tools . I prefer to be prepared and just buy 10 of each , just in case I'll ever need to use one . :encourage:

Latest project completed other than the 8 ft gate . The fence took many tools . Chainsaw , post hole digger , hand drill , screw gun , level , generator sawzall , circular saw , spacers made on mill etc etc etc . You get the picture .

BTW .....................the fence is level with the horizon , the ground is not . The bottom row looks crooked . It bothers me and makes my beer $$$$ increase . This will be fixed by lifting up or digging in the 4x4 ground beams . Need the big orange tool with the loader for that job .

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 37
You could "cheat" a bit...

It is about references and how you see.

The angle difference does not look real bad, so, for bottom rail, start with maybe wider board if needed cut at slight taper, when installed, top edge is level and parallel to others, bottom parallel with what is below.

You will not notice the difference in the width of the rail.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You could "cheat" a bit...
The ground ties WERE flat and level when I laid them in . I had 20 yards of top soil delivered and the front left corner got raised up by the dirt . I'll just dig that corner out with the loader and all will be level to the eye . Plus , it gives me more seat time on the Bota . :)

I have to admit that I sometime envy those people that chose this hobby because the were into a particular hobby or craft that led them to machining. They always seem to have a fun next project planned.

I,on the other hand, just wanted to learn hobby machining for the love of tools …and for some reason unknown to me it gives me satisfaction. That said, it makes it difficult at times to choose what area or equipment I will need in the future….so I just want everything….thats allowed here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back