Proper rubber for replacement way wiper

machinistnoob

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I'm cleaning up a mill and need to replace the wipers on the Z axis. The ones I removed had turned into a gel/goo, and leaving a nasty residual film on the dovetails. And new set is $375 for all and that's the only way they sell em. A whole set. Is there a proper rubber that's commonly used? Thanks in advance.
M. Noob

You might checkout way wiper material below and adapt something. Might also call H&W machine repair they have some parts for Lagun's.

As suggested, McMaster-Carr has a great selection of neoprene in various durometers. Check the material on the good ways to determine what durometer rating you need. Mcmaster-Carr has a info page that covers durometer values as compared to everyday items. I forget what page, but I'm sure you could find it. Found it. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/rubber/ open this page and select rubber. Then open the link at the top of the page called About Rubber.

Lagun wipers are pretty simple geometric shapes cut from rubber. They don't have felts from the factory.

I would stick with solid neoprene or viton, and avoid silicones in an oil environment. Butyl is probably safe too, but will need more frequent replacement.

Back