Prusa MMU3 Upgrade

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Made the leap. First test print was dang near perfect.

IMG_5143.JPG
IMG_5142.JPG

Oh man. My Ender 3v2 is giving me fits.
Definitely thinking about getting something a bit more sophisticated.

I think my first multi-material projects will be tags for small parts bins and shelf tooling. PrusaSlicer lets you import svg files for graphics and text into your model in the slicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the MMU3 upgrade for over a month and finally got around to installing it. I struggled with how I was going to do the buffer with my Lack enclosure. The picture shows what I settled on... at least for now.

My first print was the sheep and I was disappointed with the loading and reloading failures I had. However I learned from them and my 2nd print went much better. I printed Linus, a 45 hr, 23 m design with 878 filament changes.
I had three load failures for a failure rate of 0.3%. Not bad, but still frustrating. There were also three print design failures though these were no fault of the MMU.

Overall the MMU3 is an improvement though my tweaking on the MMU2s had already incorporated most of the changes. Probably the change having the most effect is going to 2.5x4 ptfe tubing. The firmware upgrade is also likely a significant factor too.

Now, back to machining and woodturning...

Tom
IMG_2078.JPEGIMG_2063.JPEG

That is an ambitious print! No supports?!?

This photo is after the Tree supports were removed.
I'd not used tree supports before. They worked well on this print and will be my goto for supports. Removal was easy too.

I really like the tree supports as well. Highly configurable which helps with dialing reasonable print times.

I built my own custom enclosure which isn’t seen in the photos. I’m going to build a new one where the filament is on top and the buffer is inside, but accessible for filament changes.

Oh man. My Ender 3v2 is giving me fits.
Definitely thinking about getting something a bit more sophisticated.
Fix it first, or prepare to meet the same problem, with exta complications on a more sophisticated printer... It's not a problem, it's a learning opportunity (really!).

GsT

Fix it first, or prepare to meet the same problem, with exta complications on a more sophisticated printer... It's not a problem, it's a learning opportunity (really!).

GsT

I had a V2, the biggest problem of that “vintage” is lack of auto leveling. Probably the biggest difference in ease of use when I sold the Ender3V2 and upgraded to the Prusa. Of course, many other printers out there auto leveling. Just saying that was the game changer for me in the following areas: failed print due to bed adhesion, elimination of warping, top and bottom layer finishes and overall part integrity.

Back