Pulled the Trigger on 12x37

Steve M

Active User
Registered
I bought an ENCO 3 in 1 a couple of years ago as a way to get into metal machining. At one point in my career I worked in a jet engine overhaul facility as an engineer and spent much of my time dealing with quality issues in the machine shops so ave some exposure to machining. I am also a woodworker and have done lathe turning for years. The 3 in 1 was good for a starter lathe and has some interesting features but shortcomings as well. I used the mill feature a little but it has some real limitations.

Last year I helped clean out an estate and acquired a Central Machinery 12x36 that had lived in a lean-to in TX for 12 yrs and had never been cleaned. I got it cleaned up and running with no major issues and really loved its features but decided it was too big for me. I traded it off for some work on my Tundra and planned to upgrade to something halfway between the 3 in 1 and the 12x. I quickly found out that the 9x, 10x and 11x machines were all lacking in 12x features save for the PM1127 and one other.

Looked around at used but here in Central TX good used machines are few and expensive. Didn't seem a good way to go wen comparing features to the imports.

I wanted the new one to be equipped with 3 & 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, power longitudinal and cross feed, quick change gearboxes for spindle and feed, and a low bottom speed for threading. I wanted the PM1127 but on a call to the company, I was told the factory was having issues and they didn't expect any in for at least 14 weeks. Decided that 12x was the best way to go and would get used to the larger macine. Started looking at Grizzly 12x24 and a couple others in that class, with the Griz being #1 choice at $3100 with stand. Then a brand new Shopfox 12x36 popped up on Ebay with stand, backsplash, coolant system, and light, bidding was at $2400 so I put in a bid, Unfortunately it ended during Superbowl and I forgot to follow up. It went for $2800 plus shipping, several hundred $$ below everyone. Someone got a pretty good deal.

Smithy also had a brand new 12x37 return (buyer needed larger machine) for $3100 including shipping on Ebay, factory crating and 2 yr warranty. Had a stand, all accessories, but no coolant system. Wasn't planning to spend that much money but wife cleared me in hot so I grabbed it. Talking to Smithy now about arranging shipping. Pretty pleased with the deal and am looking forward to progressing much further in building my skills. Got a Jet JMD-15 mill, metal bandsaw, several welders, 20T press, sheet metal machine, benders, and various others so am getting to where I want to be tool wise. Am considering going from a round to square column mill next. Got a good deal on the Jet so it will be a cheap upgrade. Rotary indexing table after that. Built a 30x40 metal building to put it all in.

Shop isn't heated but am looking forward to having fun when the weather finally stays warm.

Steve in Central TX

Congrats Steve, I think you'll find the 12x37 to be a nice home shop size. I understand the urge to change from round column to a knee mill but I have been getting together tooling for my shop and after a couple years of using the round column I find it to be very capable. It seems that the more tooling I have the more capable it got. The more use it gets the better I am at planning around its weaknesses.

Steve

Congrats! thanks for sharing your findings as you shopped around. I hope to see/hear more about this lathe.

Hello Steve,
I think I may be the guy who got the ShopFox 12 x 36 on EBay that you mentioned. I ended up paying $2759.00 + $209.00 shipping.
Now I hope the nightmare has not begun. The lathe arrived Friday and the crate was a mess, I looked as best I could and noted visable damage on the manifest. Alot of chip ed paint and some dents in some of the sheet metal parts. Really not alarmed yet. Then I asked where the stand was, no stand on this shipment. Uh-Oh. I went ahead and put the pallet in my garage and emailed the seller and gave him the short of it. He asked for a few pictures which I will provide. I can't really unpack it since I don't have a stand to set it on. I'm hoping I didn't screw up by accepting the shipment. I have talked to these people on the phone and they are very nice and genuinely seem like they will make it right. This is my first ever lathe and my beginning machine shop is having a bad start.
Anyway I was just shocked by your post. Probably the same lathe. I think you got lucky.
CYA
Houston

Hello Steve,
I think I may be the guy who got the ShopFox 12 x 36 on EBay that you mentioned. I ended up paying $2759.00 + $209.00 shipping.
Now I hope the nightmare has not begun. The lathe arrived Friday and the crate was a mess, I looked as best I could and noted visable damage on the manifest. Alot of chip ed paint and some dents in some of the sheet metal parts. Really not alarmed yet. Then I asked where the stand was, no stand on this shipment. Uh-Oh. I went ahead and put the pallet in my garage and emailed the seller and gave him the short of it. He asked for a few pictures which I will provide. I can't really unpack it since I don't have a stand to set it on. I'm hoping I didn't screw up by accepting the shipment. I have talked to these people on the phone and they are very nice and genuinely seem like they will make it right. This is my first ever lathe and my beginning machine shop is having a bad start.
Anyway I was just shocked by your post. Probably the same lathe. I think you got lucky.
CYA
Houston

Thanks for the update. You probably are the buyer because there haven't been that many for sale in that regard. Sorry to hear of your problems. Hope you get the lathe going with no more issues. Hope you enjoy it. That machine is a huge step up from the smaller lathes. Just be slow and careful with it as it can hurt you and hurt itself compared with something smaller.

Mine was somewhat the same but to a lesser degree. Delivery service was great, driver brought a 44' semi trailer to my place a mile off the pavement down a twisty lane in the Hill Country. Didn't see any damage so I accepted the shipment. Came as two pallets. Found three problems on closer inspection, steady rest was not included, no manual, and as I found later, the motor mount was broken. Very minor dents in the drip tray but included stand was fine. Called Kerry at Smithy. He immediately emailed me a manual and said faceplate would be shipped out. Found the broken motor mount after I spoke to him, emailed to advise and received an reply at 8:00 PM saying the motor mount was in stock and would be sent out. That was last Friday so I should get the motor mount soon - need it obviously because it is a show stopper. Otherwise the machine is up on the stand and ready to go.

Wasn't too impressed with packing. Lathe was held to the bottom of a shipping crate with one very loose bolt and was sitting on a smaller pallet, wrapped in "saran wrap". Obviously had been assembled then taken back down for shipping - a good thing as all the cosmoline had been removed! No strapping holding the machine to the pallet but base cabinet was strapped down. I imagine the whole assemblage took a good bounce at some point and broke the motor mount.

Only issue I have found with the machine as it sits with no motor is that the dial on the crossfeed handle is very stiff to move. Anxiously waiting the mount so I can power it up.

For the record, the 12x36 and 12x37 are not exactly alike; the difference being in the electrics from what I can tell. The 12x37 actually doesn't look to have a power switch, just a power on indicator light, inching button, and start/stop red mushroom switch. The motor looks to be 220v only. Neither are major issues.

Kudos to Smithy for being very responsive to my issues even during some really rotten weather where they are located.

Steve in Central TX

Thanks for the reply. I'm in limbo until I hear from the seller. I told him I would not unpack until I know what he wants to do. Am send pictures to him now.
From what I can tell the machine itself looks OK but I'm concerned. Someone was pretty rough with it somewhere along the line.
I'll let you know what happens. Again, thanks for the reply.
Houston

Any possibility of invoking Ebay Buyer Protection?

Took all my dials off last night and drilled/tapped for allen screw to secure them. Originall used a ball and spring type detent to put friction in dials when they were reset to zero. Seems to work better. Still waiting on motor mount.

Really sorry to hear about your issues with yours. Who was the seller? don't recall if it was a dealer or what.

Good luck just the same...................Steve

Hello Steve,
CYA
Houston

I saw that on Ebay and almost bid. Really had to talk myself out of bidding on it with that price.
I really don't have room for two of them anyway....but it would be fun. The stand is a very nice heavy cast iron ...vibration dampening and all that.. very nice compared to some I have seen. Hope they get that to you.

Hey Guys,
Steve, the dealer is tcjsales out of NY State. I don't know about ebay buyer protection. i suppose that's an option if it comes to that. I'll give them every opportunity to make it right first.
Russ, about the stand. Heck they'll have to send me one if they want me to keep it. :)
i'm kind of back and forth about t he sheet metal and paint issues. i don't know if I want to send it back for that or not.. it's my very first one and was advertised as new in box and kinda wanted it to look that way. i know the imt parts are the ways, headstock, gears, etc. but you know what I mean.
On another subject I'm looking at a 9 x 32 Bridgeport Mill that's in St. Louis, about 250 mi. from me. he wants $2000 for it. I offered $1650 but he wants the 2K. doesn't come with any tooling, vises or anything. I'm really tempted because he's so close to me. most are acros the country for the same or more money.
Any opinions?
Take Care Folks,
Houston

Hey Steve,
Did you take out the ball and spring or leave it in and use the screw you tapped in to adjust tension on the ball & spring? Just curious.
It's great that Smithy is responsive to you. Sounds like you'll be making a mess soon. :)

Houston

Back