Pulley Set Needed; Aluminum 1 1/4" And 3 1/2 ", 5/8" Bore.

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Pulley Set needed.

I've re-powered my Taig Lathe with a variable speed 2.5hp Treadmill permanent magnet DC motor. I'm using the MC-60 speed controller. Runs great and has a very wide speed range.

I have it running now with the a Taig pulley set and belt, but would like to go to a wider belt. The Taig belt is a Gates 3m that is 1/8" wide. I'd like to go to a Gates 5m or 1/4" wide belt, but I have not found a source for the pulleys.

I need an aluminum pulley set that would give me approximately 2.8 to 1 motor/lathe ratio, for example 1 1/4" motor pulley and 3.5" lathe spindle pulley.
The bore of both pulleys has to be 0.625" (5/8"). Width of pulleys to be around 1", but no more than 1 1/8". No keyways, just one setscrew in each pulley.

Any tips about where to look for the pulleys I need?

My starting point for the past few years has been Tractor Supply. They (usually) have a nice selection of motor pulleys.

Look around the shop. I bet there is just what you need hiding in some round aluminum stock. You just need to chuck it up in the lathe and cut away what doesn't look like the pulleys you need.:rolleyes:

Back