Q: Aligning 1228

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
With everything in place and basically working, now it's time to try to get rid of the taper that I'm currently cutting.
I've read a bunch of pages and watched countless videos so I am pretty sure I know what I need to do at this point, but I'm wondering if it matters what you use for the bar stock? I don't have anything lying around so I am going to have to buy it but I was looking and found 1" 1018 and 1" aluminum for comparable prices.
I was originally thinking the aluminum might be better because all of all of my tooling was bought with grades and chipbreakers for plastics but I thought I would ask here before dropping the cash on one or the other.
Thanks

Might check the local Metal Supermarket store for 1" tool steel rod, they'd have aluminum as well.

If you are talking about the two collar test, 11L14 would be the best choice and a sharp HSS tool the best for a fine cut.

eBay is a great place for "lathe stock" (round bar) I buy all kinds of 2 and 3 inch alum stock there...

Thank you everyone for all the help.
I needed to pick up shim stock as well and, surprisingly, found a really good price on a 1.5" x 12" 6061 aluminum rod from, of all places, Amazon with free 1 day delivery.

Back