QCTP recommendation? - Craftsman/Atlas 12x36

Steevo

Active User
Registered
I need to acquire a tool post for my lathe, and would like to get a QCTP.
I see several on eBay that should work, but am unsure of whether any of them are brands to stay away from.
Is wedge type superior to piston type?
Are the low-cost ones usable? I cant afford Aloris, or even Phase II, but I see these cheap units that come with several tool holders for about $130 and wonder if they would suffice for a beginner.

I used the rocker type tool post and bit holders for years. I still use them often and like that they are small and the QC holders are sometimes in the way.

I have also used several QC holders and have one of the Asian copies which is the wedge type. I particularily like it for boring.

I am probably going to spring for a Multifix copy one of these days. I used the real thing years ago and I like it much better than other types of QC holders that I have used. Unfortunately the price is a bit more to.

You can see them here. I read a review somewhere but don't remember where. They were rated very good.
http://www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33

Charlie W.

Steevo, I just got a Phase II AXA wedge style from Enco for $179.99 with free shipping. Not much more than the 130 you talked about and I think its sweet.

Mark

I have the AXA quick change post from CDCO on my Craftsman 12x36. It works great.

The discussion between "piston -vs- wedge" type QCTP's is moot on the craftsman lathe. The craftsman lathe isn't stiff enough to be able to notice the difference, but your hands will notice the difference in speed between tooling changes.

CDCO has them at regular price of $78.00
# Features: Dovetail are carefully ground
# Include (1) Tool Post and (1) Tuning and Facing Tool Holder (1) Boring, Turning Tool Holder (1) Heavy Duty Boring Bar Holder (1) Parting Tool Holder (1) Knurling Tool Holder
# # Made of high quality steel and hardened
# # Totally interchangeable with Phase II, Aloris and Dorian
# # Fits: South Bend 9" & 10", Atlas 10" & 12", Logan: 9" 10" & 12", Craftsman 12", Clausing 10"

I'm not affiliated with them, just use many different tools from them. This is an imported product, but for the HSM and me, it's perfect. And I am a cheap ba$tard.

I ordered one from Tools4Cheap.com.

Thanks for the assistance.

Back