QCTP

frankie

Registered
Registered
I have a piston QCTP that came on the Grizzly lathe that I have, to release the tool holder one has to push the release lever over the tool holder and than fiddle with it to get it off. Is there a fix for this? I have not found a way to disassemble it. I have purchased a better one but I would like to fix this one as I have an idea on how to make use of it. Thanks.

Frankie

I would rip it apart to see how it ticks. I'd love to see the insides myself. Best of luck

Are you certain it's not the tool holder? Mine will stick on occasion but I'm sure it is only a metal chip and I have to wiggle it to get it to release. Try putting it on dry and clean. Does it stick then?
Dave

I have the same piston QCTP on my Grizzly G4003G, I disassembled it...meh there is nothing to see and you cannot adjust the locking handle to a different angle. I find on mine that you can only remove the tool when the handle is nearly up against the tool holder, its finicky but works.

First, a tip on how to disassemble a piston QCTP ...

Take the body off the lathe. Rotate the handle until one of the pistons is as far out as it will go. Clamp a pair of long-nosed Vise-Grip type pliers on the edges of the extended piston, so it won't retract. Turn the handle until the other piston is fully outward. The handle and barrel can now be lifted out.

Secondly, a possible fix ...

Once you have the barrel free, unscrew the handle, take the barrel to the mill, and drill & tap three additional threaded holes to the beveled section, 90 degrees or so apart from each other and from the original handle hole.

Then reassemble the QCTP and install the handle in whichever hole best keeps the handle out of the way of other things.

PS - Hole locations and angles are not critical, and you might well be able to do this on a drill press. Obviously, esthetics and pride of workmanship play a part, but if you're a beginner (like I was), it's nice to know you have a bit of leeway. After all, you'll only be using one of these holes at a time! I did this to a number of AXA QCTPs that I was setting up for use on rose engines several years ago.

Back