QMT High Precision Adjustable ER-40 ER Collet Chucks and 5C chucks in D1-4 and D1-5

Did your chuck come with radial holes you can put a bar in to help tighten? I use a punch that is slightly smaller than the hole to restrain the chuck when loosening or tightening.

Attachments

• 1E5E8B9F-F473-4AA3-9358-9E0CF98A0CBD.jpeg
    1E5E8B9F-F473-4AA3-9358-9E0CF98A0CBD.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 108
I have PM's set-tru 5C collet chuck and it works great
I also have that 5C chuck and use it when ever I can as opposed to a jaw chuck. It will hold very short parts pretty well. I've got the 32 piece collet set and need to get some by 64ths for the smaller sizes. I'm no expert but I find that 5C chuck to be very high quality. I dialed it in with gage pins and it repeats amazingly well.

I also have that 5C chuck and use it when ever I can as opposed to a jaw chuck. It will hold very short parts pretty well. I've got the 32 piece collet set and need to get some by 64ths for the smaller sizes. I'm no expert but I find that 5C chuck to be very high quality. I dialed it in with gage pins and it repeats amazingly well.
My experience is the same. The first PM 5C chuck that I received had a problem, the internal bore was too small for some collets. PM replaced it. I have the 72 piece collet set and so far so good. I manage to handle stock up to 1-1/8" and it can hold very short pieces nicely.

Not sure were the limitations of the 5C for my beginner level use are and if an ER40 will be needed.

I also started using the Bison 8" 4 jaw combination (self centering) chuck and it is amazing! I am not sure if the original PM 6" 3 jaw chuck (not set-tru) will go on the PM1340GT again... The only downside is the chuck's weight of 52 lb. I built a sledge to make it easier to install and remove it.

Ariel

I am not sure if the original PM 6" 3 jaw chuck (not set-tru) will go on the PM1340GT again..
I replaced the 6" 3 jaw that came with my PM1440HD with a new South Bend 8" 3 jaw with reversible jaws. The jaws are really tightly fit. Maybe too tightly but there is no slop when changing in to out so that is good. The South Bend name has nothing to do with the original company. The chuck is made in Taiwan. I managed to get the D1-4 back plate a very good fit. The chuck grips quite uniformly over its entire range. Far better than the OEM chuck. It is heavy and I have made a wooden sled to mount it with. Slides right into the mounting stud holes. I use the same sled to store the chuck on.

Did your chuck come with radial holes you can put a bar in to help tighten? I use a punch that is slightly smaller than the hole to restrain the chuck when loosening or tightening.
I found a rod from a scrapped printer that fits. I'm going to test it right now. I like how I'm away from the casting and if I like this, I'll make one with a thicker handle as this piece is .310" the entire length.

What i am wondering is using that 5C Set-Tru chuck along with a 5C ER40 holder.. would you not then have the best of both worlds?

1641210388590.png

What i am wondering is using that 5C Set-Tru chuck along with a 5C ER40 holder.. would you not then have the best of both worlds?

View attachment 390699
That’s an interesting idea! I had no idea there was a 5c to ER40 holder. Does that have a through hole? If so, I think that might work well as a first op with raw stock instead of using an ER40 chuck and having to switch to the 5c chuck for second ops. You could also use that for any parts that are not close enough to the 5c collet sizes you have, provided they are long enough to be gripped sufficiently.

That’s an interesting idea! I had no idea there was a 5c to ER40 holder. Does that have a through hole? If so, I think that might work well as a first op with raw stock instead of using an ER40 chuck and having to switch to the 5c chuck for second ops. You could also use that for any parts that are not close enough to the 5c collet sizes you have, provided they are long enough to be gripped sufficiently.
as for "through hole" i am going to "presume" so.. apparently as i can see..the answer is yes.. as far as i can tell.. but then things can be misleading at times.. i think personally, it would be a great idea..

I ended up making a bar similar to the punch used above. Little over 6" total length 1" OD with the pin portion turned .315" for a length of .450". Then tapered the junction at 30 degrees. Been using it for a week. So much better now.

I don't know why I over think things . This was a super simple solution.

I have a Bison 6 jaw. I wonder if I couldn't just grab the 5C adapter in it.

Back