Quality 4.5 Sanding Disc&flap Disc

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys over the yrs I have always gone down to the local big box store and purchase sanding disc for my angle grinder till the other day.I walk over to where they were hanging and pick up a pack,but notice that there are only two in a pack and the price is 6.98 per pack.OK that's little over 3.50 per disc and I would have paid that if I knew if I was getting my moneys worth,but for a no name pack well not this old boy.
Guys what is a good sanding disc and flap disc for the angle grinder that is worth the money and where do you buy yours?I like using these disc to help make my welds look good where I plug holes,weld cracks etc.Thanks for any links,suggestions,just your thoughts----kroll

I can't offer a specific brand recommendation but maybe you should change your source.

Go to an industrial / welding supply store that caters to the pros - and buy more than two at a time of the item they sell the most of. You'll pay less per disk and get something that will hold up longer - shop time spent changing disks is not productive and the jobber knows it.

Also, remember that there are significant differences between disks depending on what material it is you are grinding - and the counter person at an industrial store is often someone who has actually worked in the field (and retired to a physically less-stressful job) and can give better advice based on your needs than the big box cashier.

Some places may have a sign that says 'trade accounts only' but don't be dissuaded - your 'green' identifies you as a 'trade customer' and 'cash sale' is the password 99% of the time.

Of course, YMMV and all that -

Stu

I use the Australian distributor of this company and am very happy with the quality, price and service.
http://www.smithandarrow.com/
I just checked the prices and we get them cheaper, that makes a change.:aok:

have been using ones from mcmaster for about 30 years

I've been using ceramic grain from Lehigh valley abrasives good stuff great prices

I tried some 3m Roloc Discs a while back and really loved them for cleaning up splatter and polishing. They work great and last a good while but I wouldn't recommend them for aggressive cleanup or metal removal. Other than that the cheapo flap disks are 10 for $15 or 20 for $24 from Amazon and frees ship if you have prime. They may not be the very best out there but for $1.20 to $1.5o ea I've no complaints. The overall reviews are 4 1/2 stars so favorable and cheap.

I always wanted to give those roloc disc a shot,seems perfect for the small projects.What kind of grinder do you use for the roloc disc???

What kind of grinder do you use for the roloc disc???

I use a 1/4" 90 deg angle air grinder for the Rolocs. I think mine is 20,000+ rpm, but variable speed which I think is the way to go with these. For the flap disks just a small angle grinder.

Last edited:
Back