Quality/Accuracy of Milling Machines

In general I think the man behind the machine has more influence on accuracy than the machine it self. Even an ultra precise machine will perform very poor when not setup the right way. Even if this machine is setup correctly, results will be crap if it is not used the right way.

This.

The operator is the biggest variable given he’s using a factory made machine and not something someone cooked up out of spare parts.

I’m working on two Bridgeport’s at work. Identical machines, used by the same crew for the same number of years, both purchased at the same time.

One of these mills I love, the other I have a love hate relationship with. I can turn out two exact same parts using either machine, and I can make the same part on my mini mill or another machine given time to learn the individual machines characteristics.

My nephew is a button pusher, give him the same print and any of those three machines and he can make an acceptable part that will look right, but most likely will not “ Drop in” or interchange without a little tickling.

Who is the better machinist? That is all speculative. I have the advantage of knowing these three machines intimately, he has better eyesight and is less set in his ways in a situation like this.

The point being you need to understand it’s not just the process you need to learn, but also the machine and its faults and strong points.

Oh, and no offense to button pushers, they serve a purpose too.

Back