Quarantine Projects!

Got a little bit further on my taper attachment clamp.

To ensure the holes lined up exactly I tacked the two plates together for the drilling. I then separated them and clearance drilled one plate and tapped the other plate.

Here they are bolted together with some spacers.

EM520687.JPG

The back plate.

EM520688.JPG

Tacked up. After the tacks cooled I removed the inner spacer. I was afraid of it being super tight due to shrinkage.

EM520689.JPG

Here's the first weld. I left the rear spacer which I had removed, sit on top of the joint. If there's one thing I learned from Jody over on weldingtipsandtricks it's that chill bars can help greatly to keep your weld from overheating.

EM520691.JPG

I let the part cool completely before welding the other side. I hope this minimizes warpage. Below is the other side welded. The fact that the weld is not all dark and grey tells me the chill bars helped me out!

EM520693.JPG

Now I have to cut the slot in the tail piece and figure out at what height it gets welded to the clamp piece. There's no dimension for that on the drawing. At least as far as I can tell. I assume it's centered but my plate is a little thicker than 0.380" like the drawing says so I think I wanna keep the offset for the extra thickness on the downward facing plane.

EM520682.JPG

Nice looking welds!

Drawings are nice but nothing beats application confirmation. There can be so much application drift because there are so many models with minor differences. You have the major portions of the unit though!

It's great you have all that heavy plate around. I miss sorely having access to that. Metal surplus is scarce here. It seems you have one or the other, used machines and scarce surplus, or lots of surplus and scarce used machines.

Thanks!

The pieces of metal were just small scraps I'd refused to get rid of over the years. The heavier plate was cut off from a cut off of 4"x4"x1/2" angle. And the smaller plate were a piece of 1/4"x1-1/2" flat bar from Lowes.

I've worked at a few metal fab shops over the years and access to metal, even just scraps was a blessing for sure. Back in 2007 or so I worked at a modern manufacturing whose main deal was CNC machining. I got all kinds of cool stuff from the scrap bin! I have a few large aluminum blocks, like 4"x4"x3" or 2"x4"x7". I can't do much with them now but someday I know I'll have a milling machine!

My most prized score was a chunk of copper plate. It's 1/2"x6"x11" or so. They were making huge copper contacts for giant circuit breakers from 1/2"x6" flat bars and this was the cut off. A friend who was running the saw cutting operation got most of those drops but I got one at least!

Well the clamp works pretty well.

EM520697.JPG

But there's a big gap between the clamp and the main body of the taper thing. I have a post up in the Atlas section to see if this is ok or what.

EM520700.JPG

Also I don't see why I can't just drill a hole to mate these two parts, instead of making a slot.

+1 on the nice looking welds!
(I have TIG envy! :big grin:)

+1 on the nice looking welds!

Thanks!

Hey I have a general machining question concerning the use of a wiggler.

1586214336529.png

I know the pointy one is used to pick up a centerpunch or scribed line, but my question is, why does it have to wiggle?

I get the edge finding capacity requires the tool to move freely but when you are trying to position a workpiece to a centerpunch or scribed intersection, why not use a solid pointy rod?

No idea @Weldo, I have one but I'm missing one of the wigglers. Never tried to use it yet.

Cut a block of foam for my new whitewater playboat (that I may never get to use!)

1586219887430.png

Talk about complex geometry....
Robert

Back