Question about Cut-Off Saws with 10 Hp motor

You should't ever try cutting flame hardening metal with a chop saw, I was trying to make some tools from 1045 and made all the cuts with the chop saw, made it impossible to drill with my lathe, 6 parts in the scrap bin.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's pretty much correct, but that piece did not go into the scrap bin. It went into the forge and was removed at a high orange heat. You may ask why I didn't hot cut the metal. Hot cutting a piece of 2" steel is pretty difficult, even with a good striker, since you need to hold a handled hot cut, and meanwhile keep the piece on a hardy tool, then call for the strike. I did the last piece hot, and it was too hot, heavy, unwieldy and hungry for fuel.

Any pictures or dimensions are welcome, Cooter.

If it was me I'd go with a bandsaw or 14 inch dry cut abrasive chop saws are good for hacking stuff up but there loud and make a mess and aren't super accurate

The best thing about a bandsaw is you can be out in the shop cutting stuff at 2 in the morning without a bunch of noise bothering anyone

I find dong larger pieces in a chop saw (say, bigger than an 1" on a 14" chop saw), the saw has a lot of trouble with doing the flat surfaces, as it seems to load up the wheel having to be in the material such a long time. Can't imagine how long it would take to use it to cut off a piece of 2x2 solid steel...

Today i spend some time working on this project, first i cut 5 pipes to make 4 of the the right length, they are really thin wall so i had to weld them on spots, then i welded three pieces to make one more pipe for the bottom support, as last thing i started to weld them on, more to come.
DSC_0022.JPGDSC_0024.JPG

Get your self one of those square stones used to dress a grinding wheel. Works great to clean a cut off wheel
Trying to cut much over a inch with a abrasive blade is hard. Material heats up and pinches the blade.
Thanks ron

Yeah i have some experience and know about pinching the blade i'll be careful on solid steel, for tubing shouldn't have problems, also i plan to use an undersized belt as a safety link to prevent the cutting stone exploding if it gets pinched.

I did managed to finish welding the table top, looks a lot easier but there is couple of meters of weld on there, i'm debating should i put it on wheels of on solid legs, one of the biggest concerns i have is weight plus it will be very top heavy.
DSC_0049.JPG

Back