Question about gear repair

56FG,
That large gear looks like a perfect candidate for making one of your own. If you have a mill , a rotary table and a fair amount of patience, you could make a brand new one and send to a heat treater to be hardened once you cut and fitted all of the teeth. Even though the gear is large, the teeth are still straight and don't require any fancy helical cuts or spirals so it should be a fairly easy pattern to duplicate due to it's size and simplicity. You could start out with a sand cast blank more or less the correct overall size and mill off the excess to create the pattern and save a good bit of time cutting it from solid material. About the worst that can happen is you will make a big gear that wont fit, but you will get a heck of a lot of practice doing and learning along the way. But I am just the optimist and I do things like that just to prove it can be done. Sometimes I fail in the mission, but I learn why along the way.

Bo

Probably so. Keith Fenner has a few Youtube posts on a similar component (threaded ring) that got stripped as the tractor was pulling itself around stumps. He brazed and recut the threads on the lathe and argues that the repair is as good as new, but mentions that the abuse that damaged the original part, would likely trash the repair also if repeated long enough.

Since you encouraged me and there's no chance of the Bears loosing today (buy) I thought I'd work on this...

chewd1_zpsb2c6496f.png

For sure this repair wont hold up to tractor pulls, I just hope it works well enough on my Sheldon reverse lever. With the exception of cutting left hand threads, I can't see needing it all that often anyhow. Built up the missing teeth area with a commonly available two part epoxy product.

gearjbweld_zpse1722ffa.jpg

Had to cut a bushing and build a bolt mandrel and then turn down the extra build up in the lathe

turnedown_zps668dd90b.jpg

Here's the mandrel out of the lathe

mandrel_zps05ddb3b2.jpg

Next I bolted the brass gear that isn't damaged along side the formica one.

brassmate_zpsfcd14b29.jpg

After about an hour of preliminary file work I came back in for some lunch

IMG_4536_zps80d5522e.jpg

chewd1_zpsb2c6496f.png

gearjbweld_zpse1722ffa.jpg

turnedown_zps668dd90b.jpg

mandrel_zps05ddb3b2.jpg

brassmate_zpsfcd14b29.jpg

IMG_4536_zps80d5522e.jpg

Back