Question about insert holder recommendations.

The angle looks like a LH tool. Is it? I feel like I would want a RH tool for normal threading right? It’s hard to tell the insert looks like it might be at an angle that works with that holder with normal threading.
That tool is for normal threading (right hand thread, cutting toward the headstock).

What about threading inserts and holders? They seem kind of expensive. I don’t thread often. Should I just stick to a 60* hss tool bit? The last one I made had top rakes(or relief I can’t ever remember the term). I use the compound to advance. Since then I’ve seen that people use a 0 degree top rakes due to cutting on both sides. Is this recommended? Seems like if you use the compound it wouldn’t be required right?

No, not recommended and it leaves a poor thread finish.

I did this for the first time the other day as I was in a hurry to support production and I felt dirty afterwards.

For infrequent threading I would just use the 60* tool bit.

I don’t see any description. What inserts do these take?

I generally don't like sets of things, but the one MrWhoopee recommended would be a good start (same thing for the threading tool he recommended).

As far as inserts go, do you know what size your current boring bar uses? CCMT inserts come in three sizes...1/4, 3/8" and 1/2" inscribed circle. The common ANSI sizes are 21.50, 21.51 and 21.52 for 1/4", 32.50, 32.51, 32.52 for 3/8", and 431, 432, 433 for 1/2". Using ISO numbers you'd have 060202, 060204 and 060208 for 1/4", 09T302, 09T304 and 09T308 for 3/8", 120404, 120408, and 120412 for 1/2".

For aluminum many people like CCGT or CCGX inserts which work in the same tools as CCMT. A fun fact is that these also work really well for shallow cuts on steel, and on alloy steels that are hard.

Someone mentioned using negative rake inserts and that could be an option, but without knowing your lathe it's a bit of a guess since negative rake inserts work best on larger, more rigid machines.

Back