Question About Jacobs Chucks

Anthony G

Registered
Registered
I went to the hardware store today, one of the couple that are still left in my city since most of them closed up. I needed a couple bolts. Anyway, while I was in there I was looking around and I noticed some Jacobs chucks in a locked display case they had. Just out of curiosity I ask the guy if he would check to see what kind of a mount they were. I was sure they were threaded mount, but could tell because the case was behind a counter and too far away. Anyway, they were threaded mount, I think maybe 3/8"-16. The thing about these is that these were OLD chucks. I can't say they had an inch of dust on them (yes, even in the display case), but they had a LOT of dust on the packages. The are USA Jacobs chucks. All of them. They are $11.00. Two of them were keyed and one was keyless.

I guess my question is how accurate are threaded mount chucks? I know I can buy an arbor for them from ENCO or elsewhere with the threaded mount for the chucks and the MT2 taper for a tailstock. Would it be worth it? These are old, USA Jacobs chucks. I bet these are 20-25 years old. The guy acted like he didn't even know they were down there.

Unless you are working for NASA, I would say that a threaded chuck would work fine. Not quite as heavy duty as a taper mount, but plenty strong for most work within the range of the chuck. Sounds like a deal to me. I would buy all of them.

Man, jump on them!

I have a two that I bought for next to nothing with no. 2 Morse taper shanks that were NOS chucks that nobody wanted because they were threaded mount. They work fine on my SBL.

I have a feeling they are replacement drill motor chucks. Which means they are not made to the quality standards of a machine chuck. But, it all depends on your use/needs/finances. And be aware that a threaded chuck could un-screw. Might want to Locktite the threads to be safe…Good Luck, Dave.

Last edited:
"Chips".............I'm sure they are replacement drill motor chucks. Just wondered if they would be "OK" mounted on a threaded arbor for my tailstock. I would think as long as I use right hand drills, unscrewing wouldn't be a problem. Might be OK for secondary, utility chucks, huh? I think they're 3/8" capacity.

I'd buy them in a New York minute. I think they'd work well if you made a threaded 5/8" sleeve and fit them into something like one of these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Tailstock-Turret-MT2/G9318

I have one and also a flat, capstan I guess, version. A smaller drill chuck would work better than a larger one in these. True it would lack rigidity but it would probably work OK for center drills, pilot holes, etc.

"Chips".............I'm sure they are replacement drill motor chucks. Just wondered if they would be "OK" mounted on a threaded arbor for my tailstock. I would think as long as I use right hand drills, unscrewing wouldn't be a problem. Might be OK for secondary, utility chucks, huh? I think they're 3/8" capacity.

Now days most drill motors are reversible, they should work just fine. Like someone posted earlier use a drop of Loctite if in doubt.

I have about half a dozen small Jacobs chucks, salvaged from drill motors, all mounted on 3/8 24 threaded M1 Tapers for my little lathe, I can set up center drill, tap drill, tap, reamer and a couple of others to make multiple operations on pieces in the lathe. I've had no problem with them unscrewing when backing out a tap.

Reversible drill motors typically have a left-hand thread in the spindle, usually something like a #10. A LH screw is driven in from inside the chuck and keeps it from unscrewing in reverse.

Of course, if you're using the chuck on a drill press, reversing will not be an issue. Do the chucks have a large enough capacity for use in a drill press? If so, I'd say "go for it!"

Reversible drill motors typically have a left-hand thread in the spindle, usually something like a #10.

But the outer thread is right-handed, correct? That would be a problem since I haven't seen any arbors with left-handed thread.

Of course, if you're using the chuck on a drill press, reversing will not be an issue. Do the chucks have a large enough capacity for use in a drill press? If so, I'd say "go for it!"

The are 3/8" capacity, I believe. Not 100% sure, but relatively sure. I was sort of in a hurry to get out of there and back home. I think mostly I'd be using them in the tailstock of my lathe.

Back