question about my 3 jaw chuck.

gary.h

Active User
Registered
good morning all,ive noticed when i go to snug a piece in the chuck it pulls a little one way,now it looks like one jaw is a little late to touching than the others figured id ask before i tear it apart,the chuck is old and probably wore out,is there somthing that can be done with it or should a guy head to busy bee tools and get a new chuck for my 9"SB?
im gonna be using it to day so im just gonna use some sort of a shim to keep the piece true as close as i can for now,your input is most vauled,thanks in advance,have a good one.

Could partially be caused by swarf and chips inside. It would be worth tearing down for a cleaning. There is a thread here on chuck repair/rebuild, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

You can shim if needed, or if your work will be done in a single chucking while making a part from bar, ignore it. Chucking existing work won't allow for that normally. Do you have a 4 jaw?

I'd not rush to get a replacement without a good going through of your old one.

Gary,
Tony beat me to it... But, I agree with him.
Might just need a tear down and a good cleaning. Suprising places swarf can get into. I have 3 chucks for my mini lathe and tear them down every few months to clean the innards.

Chuck in E. TN

thank you for the replies fellas! sounds like an inspection and cleaning is in order..
good day for it too,its snowing and blowing here, so good day to hide in the shop,once again thanks eh! :)

hmmmmm,having a problem getting that chuck apart,took all the screws out of it and the backing plate is loose,i thought maybe you have to turn the key until it comes up to a relief and then it comes apart but not!
i did a search for any diagrams or insruction on how they come apart but i came up empty handed ill do a google search maybe,ill post some pics later and show ya what i got going on....thanks folks catch you later.

we gotter! found a breakdown diagram and figured out how to get it apart,it wasnt too dirty in there,looks wore out in places,though,i have some spare jaws that came with the 33,SB but one had damaged scroll teeth(does that sound right!?)
but anyways had a jaw that looked fairly new and compared to the others had almost zero shake in the chuck against the scroll gear,the scroll itself had seen damage in its day,,so i started my project anyways took along time to get set up but its not like dead accurate matters for what im doing. i still have to do the test to make sure my taistock is dead center,thanks to the info here on this forum.....thank you guys! heres some pics,have a good evening,or morning depending where yer at..
..WELL hell im having a prob uploading the pics i want to show,and i got to step out for a bit so ill get em up eventually.. ???

here,s some pics,took some messing around,,,
IMG_0021_5.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
the chuck is a westcott chuck(jest about forgot that part. thanks for the help and suggestions guys much appreciated.

Back