Question about pictures I've posted ?

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I've learned how to add pictures to my posts. So far I've added 3 pictures to 2 posts. Now, when I click on "manage attachments", and the dialogue box opens, those 3 pictures are still there. Can I delete them or will that also remove them from the post that they are in? If I can delete them without affecting the posts--How do I do it? Thanks, JR49

When you save a photo in a thread, it is actually saved to a separate location on the server. An 'active' link to that photo location is stored within the thread. When a viewer opens the thread, the photo is also opened and displayed because of the active link. Well, at least this is the way that I understand it works. So, if you remove the copy that is in your upload manager, you will also be removing it from the thread where you posted it.

The advantage of this is that for many of us, we end up responding to the same question in multiple threads over a period of time. When we respond, we can attach a photo that has already been uploaded and stored on the server. Thus the same photo can be used in multiple threads without being loaded onto the server more than once. This saves quite a bit of disk space for us on the server, plus it makes it easier to refer to a given picture without having to find it in an obscure thread someplace. It also helps to prevent degradation of system performance on the server, and that is a good thing!

TERRYWERM !! Thanks for such a great explanation. I've already admitted to knowing little about machining, but now, with this forums help, I can see myself becoming proficient at machining and computers. Love this forum! Thanks, JR49

TERRYWERM !! Thanks for such a great explanation. I've already admitted to knowing little about machining, but now, with this forums help, I can see myself becoming proficient at machining and computers. Love this forum! Thanks, JR49

You are most welcome!! That is what this place is all about!

Back