Question About PM25 X-Axis Power Feed

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
Hello all. New guy here and really psyched to say a new PM25 is be headed my way soon. I have a power feed question or two and I'm hoping someone might be able to shine some light on.

My understanding is that the transmission in the PM add-on Power Feed can't be disengaged for easier cranking when manually working the table. This seems like a real disadvantage for someone doing manual work because of the extra effort and noise. Is this the case with all power feeds? If not, can anyone recommend a better alternative? (Way back I worked on Bridgeports w/power feeds, but it's been so long I forgot how they operated/whether they permitted the tables to freewheel manually.)

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

There is a clutch that kicks out when you move the handle to neutral position.

So you're saying that when the clutch is disengaged I can turn the X handwheel and neither the motor or transmission in the Power Feed will turn? (As if the PF wasn't there at all?)

BTW, my apology for the double post.....

The gear reduction is disconnected when the clutch kicks out. There is a slight more drag with it than without it but negligible it installed correctly.

I have a PM-25MV with the x-axis power feed that PM sells. If you put the power feed lever in neutral, you can definitely turn it by hand all you want. As said above, there is just a little more drag. Not a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna go ahead and order one. Is the installation straightforward?

Or just discard it. (Hang it on the wall by its cord). Being a manual mill, your eyeball is much better than any limit switch.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna go ahead and order one. Is the installation straightforward?
I just installed a similar unit on my pm30 and it took 20min. Very easy install. Although, I didn't install the limit switch, since I don't walk away from my mill while it's powered on.

May install it in the future, but it seems very simple as well. Probably take far longer to route the cable acceptably than to actually put the end stops in and mount the switch.

I built my own, using an automotive window motor. I took the oportunity to install ball bearings at each end of the lead screw, it seemed to reduce the drag on the motor.

Back