Question on a very late model South bend lathe

abrasivemike

Grinder
Registered
I've recently seen a 12" X 36" South Bend BENCH Model lathe. It had ground, probably hardened ways, and had the motor and belt drive behind the head on the bench. It looked like brand new and the tag on the QC gearbox said South Bend, Indiana- not China! I've check the S.B. online catalog and scoured the internet with no luck, Has anyone any info on a model like this?
Mike
P.S. Bidding is underway.

Any chance you can get the seller to give you the serial #?
Then go hunting a few details with that.
Not sure at what point it happened but some of the last western manufactured SB were made in Australia under license. not sure of the size tho? Maybe that was only the 9" models?

Cheers Phil

I've recently seen a 12" X 36" South Bend BENCH Model lathe. It had ground, probably hardened ways, and had the motor and belt drive behind the head on the bench. It looked like brand new and the tag on the QC gearbox said South Bend, Indiana- not China! I've check the S.B. online catalog and scoured the internet with no luck, Has anyone any info on a model like this?
Mike

Grizzly has all the info on south bend lathes. With the serial number , you should be able to get all the info you need.

Mike anyway you can post some pictures of the lathe. It might be a 9" or 10" with risers to make it a 12".

As far as I know, the only SB's made in Australia were tagged with the Hercus label and were all 9". I have a Hercus 9A.

At least the QCGB was made in Southbend. The new appearance could have been from a rebuild. Could be somewhat older.

As far as I know, the only SB's made in Australia were tagged with the Hercus label and were all 9"

Mike, from lathes.co.uk............."During the 1960s Hercus supplied South Bend in the USA with a large batch of Model A lathes"
http://www.lathes.co.uk/hercus/index.html. Bottom part of the first section, before the 1st photograph.
Although it doesnt state if they were tagged hercus or southbend, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Hercus were casting parts for SB in the 70s? But I have been known to be wrong:whiteflag: Just ask my children.......

Cheers Phil

Mike

Mike-

Did it look like this? This lathe is made by Hercus of Australia for South Bend. Model GS-26, D1-4 spindle, 5C collets, helical back gears, 10" swing. Very nice lathe that has some damage from falling on it's face. It will be repaired.

-Larry

SBLgs26small.jpg

Hi Larry,

I just found this post, I know it's an old one but I'm wondering if you went ahead with the repair and if you restored this lathe.

Hi Boris,
Larry has not been on here for a number of years so I dont think you will get a response unfortunately.

Cheers Phil

Back