Question on Arbor Press Purchase

Sandia

Active User
Registered
Thinking about buying a arbor press for my shop. I have a 20 ton floor press for the big stuff, but I wanted something a little easier to use for the small jobs. What would be a good all around size for a bench arbor press. I was thinking a 1 to 1/2 ton. Any opinions from you guys. Thinking about waiting on the next Enco sale with free shipping. The shipping is tough on the heavy tools.

Thanks, Bob

Do you have a local harbor freight? They have some nice ones, and if your feeling picky they can be reworked in an afternoon. You can also use a worn out drill press as a light duty arbor press

When it comes to arbor presses bigger is better. The smaller arbor presses (especially the imports) don't' have much space between the ram and the arbor, so you could forget about ever being able to broach with it. Once you get one you will find uses for it that you didn't think of before you had it and the first time you put a cheater pipe on the handle you'll realize that your press is too small.

This is just a personal preference, but I much prefer the arbor presses that have the ratcheting handle also, and you usually will not find them available in the smaller sizes. I also prefer the larger presses to gain room between the ram and the base, much needed when broaching keyways.

I too have been waiting to take advantage of the one of the sales at Enco where I can also get free shipping, but also need to have funds available at the same time. Lately getting all of the stars to come into alignment has been tough, but it will happen one of these days.

I've been looking for something like a 3 ton arbor press as well. I'll probably get one at a place in the area that sells used machine equipment, but will keep an eye on Enco.

When or how often does Enco usually have there sale?

Thanks,

Chris

When it comes to arbor presses bigger is better. The smaller arbor presses (especially the imports) don't' have much space between the ram and the arbor, so you could forget about ever being able to broach with it. Once you get one you will find uses for it that you didn't think of before you had it and the first time you put a cheater pipe on the handle you'll realize that your press is too small.

Absolutely right. If you plan to do any broaching, you'll probably need at least a #3 arbor press. I bought a used one on CL, and have been very happy with it. I looked at a #0 press (the close-up photo made it look huge), only to to discover it would be perfect for crushing beer cans since that's how tall it was.

GG

I'd advise getting at least a two-ton. It depends on how much space you think you need - for broaching, you'd need at least ten inches or so between the end of the ram and the base, and that's for broaching a smaller part. I have a Greenerd No. 1 press, which is like a 1/4 ton - it has maybe six inches from ram to base.

Again, it's more the space desired than the tonnage - that's what cheater bars are for!

This is just a personal preference, but I much prefer the arbor presses that have the ratcheting handle also, and you usually will not find them available in the smaller sizes. I also prefer the larger presses to gain room between the ram and the base, much needed when broaching keyways.

I too have been waiting to take advantage of the one of the sales at Enco where I can also get free shipping, but also need to have funds available at the same time. Lately getting all of the stars to come into alignment has been tough, but it will happen one of these days.

Yeah, I hear you about the stars lining up terrwerm. I want to be able to use it to broach with but the large ones are a killer on shipping sometimes more than the press itself, on Ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been looking for something like a 3 ton arbor press as well. I'll probably get one at a place in the area that sells used machine equipment, but will keep an eye on Enco.

When or how often does Enco usually have there sale?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, Enco has the 20percent off and free shipping fairly often, the 30 percent sale not so often. You can Enco notify you by email from their Web site. Also they alert us on the forum, check it often. It is at the top.

Bob

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help guys. I will keep on looking.

Sandia

Sandia, I ordered a one-ton capacity arbor press from Harbor Freight (Central Machinery) and it arrived with a bent handle. Not to worry, I bent it back "barehanded" where it should be. :whistle:
---ortho

+1

There's not as much mechanical advantage to an arbor press as you might think. If you're pressing bearings onto shafts or other such light jobs, then you're far better off to simply use your drill press. At least the drill press is at a friendly height and already in the shop (meaning FREE).

If you buy an arbor press, most of the time it's used so infrequently that you'll soon want your workbench space back, which means buying a stand. A stand, either fab-ed or purchased, to support the weight of a Famco is going to be as much as the original price of the press.

IMHO, most people would be far better off to buy a cheap 10 ton hydraulic jack and build a press frame around that. If you have a steel building, then you could incorporate one of the vertical columns into the design and really get away cheaply.

Just my 2 cents from an ex-Famco owner.

Back