Question on Arbor Press Purchase

I'm curious to know how well a drill press can press bearings on/off.

I use a 12 ton shop press for gears and bearings and sometimes you can feel it reaching it's limit.

I can't imagine using a drill press intended for no more than a few pounds of psi at most pressing a bearing on or off unless the bearing is for miniature work. Perhaps that is what is being discussed here? It is isn't it? :guilty:

An arbor press is the topic, not a drill press. But, Sandia has probably solved his dilemma by now anyway, since this thread is over a year old. ;)

Tom

Yes, I lucked into a #3 press on Craig's list. Picked it up for $200 and it looked brand new. It was up close to Houston, but I was lucky my son was up there on business and he picked it up and brought it home for me. I have used it several times and it has its on stand, so does not take up any bench space.

DSC00700.JPG

An arbor press is the topic, not a drill press. But, Sandia has probably solved his dilemma by now anyway, since this thread is over a year old. ;)

Tom

It was a response to "Wobbles" comment, referencing the drill press.

Walter,
Duly noted. :)

Sandia,
Nice score.

Tom

Yes, I lucked into a #3 press on Craig's list. Picked it up for $200 and it looked brand new.... I have used it several times and it has its on stand, so does not take up any bench space.

I got the exact same press without the stand for $225 on Craigslist. The paint isn't as pretty, but I was going for functionality and space savings, like you. I would love a hydraulic press, but don't have anyplace to put it in the shop. This is a nice compromise. The #3 press is good for broaching because it has ~13" opening. Someday I may build a small stand for it, but right now it fits on the corner of my welding table.

GG

I picked up a 3 ton arbor press at the Flea Market for $50 about 3 years ago. I have a 50 ton hydraulic press and didn’t think I needed the arbor press. But for 50 bucks, what the heck. After three years, I can’t recall ever using the hydraulic press, it’s collecting dust. I always use the arbor press. Why, because the stroking is MUCH faster and I seem to get enough force out of the 3 ton to get the job done. I could not live without the arbor press now, I love it and glad I got it. Had to pay $150 for the stand though, ouch! Would I use my drill press as an arbor press? No, it’s not made for that…Dave.

Edit: I should have added that when using an arbor press you also get a “feel” of your progress through the handle when pressing. When you use a hydraulic press all you get are “sounds”.

Last edited:
Continuing the (off-topic) discussion of where to put an arbor press, here's what might be done with a smaller one. Obviously, it wouldn't be very convenient for one of those 150 pound 3-tonners.

I attached the press to a double thickness of 3/4" plywood, then to a piece of 4x4. I store it under the workbench until needed. Then I clamp the 4x4 in my bench vise. The notch in the base continues through the plywood and extends out past the vise handle. The wooden "pocket" on the left side holds the notch plate when the press is stored and a small cleat on the opposite side keeps the arm in place.
kHPIM3773.jpg kHPIM3774.jpg kHPIM3775.jpg
I do the same thing with my jig saw
kHPIM3777.jpg

Back