Question on Height Guage

Sandia

Active User
Registered
Looking for a 12" height gauge and was looking for advice on what and were to buy. Been looking at Ebay, and there is pages of gauges. Lots of cheapy imports and high dollar domestic, both digital and analog. Are the imports in the $100 plus range any good? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

If you dont mind used and analog there are some nice used quality ones for under 100. Starrett, mitutoyo, brown & sharpe etc. That would be the route I went.

I dont have alot of faith in cheap china electronics my self. That in no way means there are not some great ones out there. I just have my reservations with un related dealings.

Don't forget that any height gage you buy be it digital or analog needs to be calibrated against known standards (i.e. gage blocks, height master etc.). Most use the parallel bars setup where a rotary encoder rides against teeth behind the front bar. If the bars get knocked out of parallel in handling or shipping the readout will either be wrong to the high or low side depending on which way the bars are leaning.

Sandia, the reason I asked about your preference is that I have a practically new digital I bought years ago from Enco.....never used it. Still have the wooden case and all for it. Just taking up space.

Holescreek, some of the electronic models use either a mag scale or a capacitative measuring movement instead of mechanical means as you describe. I have one (Mit) that is as you say, and yes indeed, you need to be careful even handling it. I have cringed when I see people just grab one with parallel bars and move it across the table, or to another location.....by squeezing the bars in one hand.

Sandia, the reason I asked about your preference is that I have a practically new digital I bought years ago from Enco.....never used it. Still have the wooden case and all for it. Just taking up space.

Holescreek, some of the electronic models use either a mag scale or a capacitative measuring movement instead of mechanical means as you describe. I have one (Mit) that is as you say, and yes indeed, you need to be careful even handling it. I have cringed when I see people just grab one with parallel bars and move it across the table, or to another location.....by squeezing the bars in one hand.

Tony, not being experienced with the gauges, I don't know which would be the wisest choice. I have several calipers and mikes that are digital, and they are certainly easier to read and less margin of error I would think.

PM sent on the Enco, I am interested.

Thanks, Bob

Yeah, I've had to repair one of the "new" height gauges too. I work in the QC lab and do all the gauge repair wok for my employer. We currently have roughly 40 height gauges in use, mostly the better Mitutoyo parallel bar units and have experimented with cheaper models. The issue with the capacitance units (think digital caliper) is that dirt gets between the scale and reader and wears the protective coating off of the reader and you get the "O5" error. The problem can be fixed with some clear nail polish on the bare copper newly exposed if you want to keep it in play.

Parallel bar types are generally great if taken care of, we have a pair from 1991 still on the floor today. I've seen the results of a good "squeeze" on calibration, it makes adjustment of the over all range quite tricky.

Pictures of Enco 12"IMG_6013.JPGIMG_6015.JPGIMG_6016.JPGIMG_6017.JPG

You may notice I Sharpied my company name on the base, as well as inside the lid of the case. Of course, on the wooden case, it will not come off, but could be covered over. On the base, I tried to remove it with mild solvent, but only succeeded in making it a little faint.

As it turns out, it's not quite as close to new and unused as I remembered. I didn't remember ever using it. I guess that shows how long it's been boxed up. The battery is still up, but perhaps a little weak. There is a carbide scribe and a dovetail indicator mount with it, along with a small instruction booklet.

If this isn't what you are looking for, it won't hurt my feelings to keep it. I use a 18 Mit dial for most of my work, but this has been my backup. I have not needed it in years, apparently. I'd guess it's 20 years old or so.

IMG_6013.JPG IMG_6015.JPG IMG_6016.JPG IMG_6017.JPG

Tony,
That looks physically identical to a Scherr-Tumico one I recently picked up. I haven't been able to find a manual for it. Do you know what the up and down buttons do?

Back