Question on home heating furnace

A properly constructed new house
or a properly constructed old house that has been properly renovated

they both have their appeal if the word 'properly' applies. Sometimes the spacious land that an old house is built on is the deciding factor.

or a properly constructed old house that has been properly renovated

they both have their appeal if the word 'properly' applies. Sometimes the spacious land that an old house is built on is the deciding factor.
True. But I do like the 22 acres the my new house sits on. Ok, ok. I will quite badgering you guys about old houses. :)
All in good spirit....

Short cycling is almost always caused by improper sizing of the equipment. Couple that with an extraordinarily inefficient house and there will be a lot of issues.
Agreed. With a poorly insulated house the size of a heating system would have to be huge for the coldest days of the year in Wisconsin. That would possibly make it too big for other days when the inside/outside temperature differential was say half or 1/4 of the coldest of days, and is a problem that a thermostat can't correct.
If the heating system is indeed too big for even the coldest days then yes that would unnecessarily promote short cycling. Otherwise, downsizing the furnace just to reduce short cycling might make for some cold nights in the hacienda.
Thats why to me a prerequisite for decent performance of any modern heating system (since the coal furnace) is efficient insulation.

Coldest day of the year is also why I think this furnace is way oversize.
When it was 25°F below zero and 30-40 MPH wind with a wind chill of near -60°F this furnace had no problem with the 10°F night time setback to raise the house temp 10° in under 15 minutes.

There pros and cons to any age of house. That is why there are so many to choose from. After watching my 2 sisters and what they went thru building their houses, by the time the house was built I would not need a house Cuz I would have already killed the contractor.....
There are many features of this house that I really like that you will not have in new construction. On the other hand there are some things that were really done in a way as to be only aspiring to get UP to half A$$. Yes over the years I have had to do a lot of fixing of things, with more yet to fix.

Back