Question on mandrels?

dredd

Registered
Registered
I am looking to turn bearing adapter shims with metric dimensions. If I am reading the dimensions of the mandrels properly,they will not work for sizes of 22 and 24 mm.
That leaves me with expanding mandrels. And the price range is large: Enco = 225, Victor mach = 150 and Wtt at 90. Any experience with these, I would think the are basically from the same source.
Thank you
Chuck

All three that you listed are imports and likely from the same manufacturer. How many shims do you need to make and how thick are they?

What do the shims look like? Maybe you can make an arbor to hold them. Machinable expanding arbors are also available that are inexpensive.

Tom

I do not know how many I am going to make. Mostly I am doing it for experience and to help out customers that are stuck with poor bearings. one adapter is to take a 25 mm id bearing to 24 mm spindle. The second is same bearing to a 22 mm spindle with 5mm spacer on the inside. With acts to lock the spindle in place. If this is unclear i will be able to post a picture tomorrow
Chuck

Sounds more like bushings or sleeves. Simple to make dead true if you bore and turn, then part off all in one operation. Not sure if that helps. Perhaps a picture would help.

Tony
I like that answer. I will go that route, and I can install to check that it is running true.
Thank you.
Chuck

Back