Question on mill size

taltexan

Registered
Registered
I have to machine a 18”x22” part with face cutter that weighs 640 lbs. What size mill would handle the weight and size without a second setup? Thanks

My "not a small mill" FTV-3 can support 1,000 lbs on the table, so I agree with what John said. I would not want to push my luck with anything much smaller. Your concern should be having the capacity for the part's weight; traversable size shouldn't be an issue for a full-size mill.

A bridgeport can handle 750lbs centered load. However with knee mill configuration you need to realize the table will sag at one end as you feed longitudinally. This can cause problems with flatness or having the correct distance on X axis. You need a mill that can both have a work capacity and allow you to face mill the part to spec. Look up "bed mill" or any mill where the table doesn't move up and down but rather the head moves on a column.

In my own case, while in business, I would have used my horizontal boring mill, a 3" bar Universal horizontal boring mill, for the same reasons as above, load capacity, no table overhang, and overtravel for the face mill diameter, where it could completely run off the part with each pass.

Are you doing it once or over and over?

Machine shops exist for just this reason, if it’s a one off job take to someone who has the tool.

Only a few of our members have room and power for something like that.

John

Sounds like the type of machine used for surfacing cylinder heads and blocks- a horizontal broaching machine I believe it's called
Not the kind of thing most hobby guys have in their garages :big grin:

Blachard grinder if trying to get it flat . :encourage:

I had a couple of pieces for my mill/drill project Blanchard ground at my local machine shop. I never knew such a machine existed but boy are they cool....

John

Back