Questions About Harrison ( Clausing ) Tool Room Lathe

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I am going to look at a Harrison gear head lathe. It has a gap bed and a rounded exterior like a 1950 era southbend.

I do not know anything about gear head lathes. I have a logan 820 and have never even looked closely at a more elaborate machine

It is an 11x24 but is a heavy duty looking machine

Do machines like this use a thread dial? It doesn't have one

This looks like a very small version of a large production lathe

I would be very greatful for any advice and would be especially thankful if I could talk on the phone with someone that knows about this kind of lathe while I am looking at it this afternoon.

Thanks

John

I'm not sure about the Harrison and Clausing relationship? Tony's web site identifies Harrison as also being branded as "Clearing". I know a couple folks that have older 11" Harrisons (tend to leak oil) - they like them. If it is the machine I'm thinking of, the bed does not have the width and mass of some of the small toolroom lathes - but still a nicely featured little lathe.

I'm sure it would have a threading dial (the internet shows it on the left side of the carriage.

Let us know how you make out. Even if you don't end up buying the machine, please post pictures.

Harrison11.jpg
Here is a photo from lathes.co.uk showing a similar lathe. I put some money down and will pick it up later. L-00 spindle 3 hp 3phase with 3 and 4 jaw chucks

Hi John

I have a Harrison L5 , basically same as yours but with a threaded spindle nose . It is a nice lathe but very noisy, the gears whine and the clutch rattles . On mine , the clutch lever does not lock into its off position correctly, it can pop out which is dangerous . I hope you have the steadies with it, they can be expensive to buy if you can find them . There is a Yahoo group for Harrison lathes . They are not common lathes over here, mine came off a navy ship Mike

I got it home and in place. I will try to get it wired up this weekend. I think this is a L5A
IMG_2163.jpg IMG_2164.jpg .IMG_2165.jpg IMG_2166.jpg IMG_2167.jpg IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2169.jpg

Back